Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Dish Drainer


Some of you will feel sorry for me after this post. You'll question my sanity.

I won't blame you.

Yesterday Tom and I went to a few yard sales and the only thing I bought was something in a 'Free Box.' It was the dish drainer in this picture.

The weird part? I was excited to find it.

You see, for years I've just used a dish towel to set my newly-washed dishes upon. There's nothing to store under the sink, you can hang a towel to dry or wash it just by tossing it inside a washing machine. No big deal. Easy.

But sometimes I've considered it might be fun to have an old-fashioned dish drainer, one that looked old, one like Blondie Bumstead might have (that is my question before I buy anything at yard sales--"Would Blondie have this in her house?"). 

And then poof! Yesterday I saw this pink dish drainer lying in the Free Box and well, it looks old (it's probably from 2002, or something, but hey. I'm after a certain look and besides--I can pretend, can't I?).

And the wildly weird part is that when I did the dishes last night I had fun. I enjoyed placing the dishes in the dish drainer just so and felt like I was playing house again as I used to feel while a young, sweet newlywed.

And well, I'm grateful I still had that in me after these decades and that I'm childlike enough to believe God tucked that dish drainer into the Free Box just to surprise me.

*****


Oh! And just wanted to mention that I have a new blog, one only for photos of my house. If you'd like to visit me, please go here. I'd love to spend extra time with you!


*****

1 comment:

Hank said...

hi debra,
i really enjoyed your story,
God really has a sense of humor
and it really made me laugh,
besides the wonderfull gift of homemaking you really have a gift of writing too,
also the story about the sunflowers spoke to me,
God really speaks to us as we sit quietly with Him,
bless you and your house