Friday, July 21, 2006

The Ultimate Vintage Homemaking Book


Inside an ancient thrift shop 24 years ago, I found a dusty, amazing book called The Art of Homemaking by Daryl V. Hoole, a mom of 6. I still remember how excited I was to find such a funky old (1962) book--my very favorite kind at that time.

I mean, how can anyone not love a book with drawings like these?





This book is stuffed full of hints about 'getting it all done' around the house and keeping a sweet attitude through it all. (And no, it's not fiction. Heh.) But it is fun. And it is from the days when women at home were still respected and valued (a.k.a The Good Old Days). I never tire of reading her hints about cooking, washing dishes, decorating and doing the laundry, and too, looking at the Goofus and Gallant-type pen drawings. What a hoot! And it's one of those books which can, in a minute, inspire me right off the couch and over to my vacuum cleaner.

You can find The Art of Homemaking cheaply all over the Net. There are some at Amazon.com , Abebooks.com and  Bookfinder.com ($4 and up).

If you're a vintage-hearted homemaker who's unafraid of becoming the best little wife and mother around, well, you'll love this book. Guaranteed.


2 comments:

Janine said...

Love it! Just might have to buy this one.

Carolyn @ Our Gilded Abode said...

Looks so interesting! Love the illustrations. Just ordered it on Amazon. Thanks for sharing!