Sunday, May 01, 2011

The Scent of Campfires




It only took me 2 years and 11 months before I made a campfire in our yard.

Oh my. I've found my new favorite thing.

I sat beside the fire and gazed all around at the grey-barked forest with its slightest hints of green and the soaked lawns surrounding me with their battle-like look, what with all the downed branches from Friday's winds. I listened to children's echoes from across the street, then pauses and country silences while I sloshed around the grass and gathered more downed branches to snap! then toss into the fire. And felt so very Mary Jane Butters.

Tom came and sat beside me for maybe 7 minutes then returned to his basketball game on tv and though I wished he would have stayed longer (hey, we only spend 16/7 together), still I loved the aloneness, too. To enjoy oneself when she's by herself is a Good Thing. To enjoy God when one is alone is even better.

But you know? Campfire scent and smoke bring everybody out, I think. I sat there and saw the times Tom, Naomi and I went camping, sitting around fires during Idaho nights with that been-swimming feeling and feelings, too, that nowhere--nowhere!--could there be a better place, a better family. And as those pictures fade, along came my grandparents and visions of all the backyard gatherings I shared with those sweet people. More pictures, more folks from my past, my present, all there within the warmth of the golden flames.

I can just hear myself at our next gathering with strangers and others. Someone will ask, "So Debra, what do you do?"

"I'm a farmgirl. Oh, and I make campfires."

And then I'll smile my most mysterious smile with memories dancing inside my eyes.



**************

5 comments:

Judy said...

Oh, the memories in the smell of a camping sweatshirt!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Life is good! Campfires are a joy. Oh, I think I forgot to mention yesterday how darling the dutch figures are!

Julie in Texas said...

The smell of woodsmoke invokes within me an almost primeval feeling. I always think that humans must have been comforted, warmed and nourished by this timeless entity as long as we have been on Earth.

Unknown said...

Never done a campfire but Rocky & I love to be outside and burn large piles of limbs that accumulate. I love the scent and there is something about a fire that is soothing to me. How great, we have fun and the yard looks better too. Have an awesome week.
Odie

Sara said...

Oooh, the parallel lives fairy strikes again! We had a campfire yesterday too and then we spent the rest of the evening admiring how our smoky clothing smelled!