Sunday, May 08, 2011

Parts of My Mother's Day Weekend

Homemade-last-night
(organic, vegan, gluten-free, ultra-delicious)
chocolate candy from Naomi
and lilies of the valley, too,
before she left for work
this bright early morning.

Yard sale and church rummage
adventures with Tom
on Friday and Saturday
(bought two lovely books),
clam chowder patio picnic here
then planted tiny trees with him
out on a sunny patio
("This is fun," he said).

Some worry and sadness
about an old, sick McCartney the Cat
who looked and ate better
this morning, so thanking God.
Breakfast on a gleaming front porch,
phone call to my mom
who still sounds happy-out-of-her-mind,
which makes me happy, too.

And while Tom made chicken burritos
(surprise, surprise!) I played
new Christian radio tunes on the patio--
stood still and two Canadian geese landed
almost in front of me, honking,
so, not to scare them,
I moved away to the orchard
and pulled weeds
then scrubbed-out birdbaths.
And thanked God some more.
And thanked God some more.




**************

Happy Mother's Day to each of you mothers and caretakers and all who guide us through this life in ways large and small.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Seems it was a good time so far, hope the rest of it went to your liking. Happy Mothers Day.

Robin in New Jersey said...

You know why I like this blog? Because you cause me to pause and reflect on the simple things in life and how they can bring us joy. As far as I can tell, you are calm and peaceful and it comes through here in your writing.

Have a sweet day, Debra.