Monday, May 23, 2011

Ahhh... Saturday



Oh, our Saturday was the kind of day I dream about all winter.

We drove to yard sales in the countryside and then to ones back in our old hometown (even drove past our previous house for old time's sake). Everybody, everywhere was happy because it wasn't raining! 

Tom and I hardly bought anything, but oh! At one yard sale I found all the books, above, and for just 25 cents, each. A Scholastic Paperback fantasy find, indeed.

Here I am over 50 years old and those books still thrill my heart--get this--even more than they did at age 10. 

Oh the sunshine that day! It sparkled upon all the new green leaves and lawns as we ate our Burger King hamburgers, drank coffee and while I read one of my new books.

Then off to an estate sale inside a basic, retro house with the most classic rumpus room in the basement with paneled walls, tiled floor, a fireplace and a bar for drinks and sodas. (You wouldn't believe how many of those we've walked through here! Never do we tire of them.) 

Then home again where we even mowed the vast majority of the lawn, Tom on his tractor and me pushing around my trusty old lawnmower.

Yard sale days are here again. Hooray!



******


The other cool thing? Henry And The Clubhouse was my one Beverly Cleary book that I needed to replace because I'd bought a cheap copy in horrible shape last year (didn't care at the time because I just wanted my own copy!). But alas, now I have a nice retro copy, instead.


*****

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hi Debra, I have not been on blogger in almost 2 months,so I just caught up on your blog and as usual you have inspired me!

K.E. said...

Those were some of my fondest memories with my sister, who is 5 years younger.
We would pore over the book descriptions, make her selections and wait the agonizingly long wait.
"The Wednesday Witch" was one of our favorites.
I recently found two copies on Book Mooch (free book exchange) and sent her one. She was thrilled; then we found another one for HER daughter.
Thanks for some sweet memories.