Friday, June 09, 2006

Your Own Custom-Made Magazines


I've mentioned these 'scrapbooks' before, but they're worth mentioning again. For one thing, they save money. For another thing, they save space.

For women--and for men--these are great.

What are they? They are custom-made magazines. Fifteen years ago I began making these and now I find they are saving me, well, like I said--money and space.

All you need are old-fashioned three-ring binders, some clear plastic sleeves (can be found cheaply at Target when you buy a package of 100 or more) and your favorite magazines--any type of magazines.

All you do is tear out your favorite pages from magazines, place them in the clear plastic sleeves, (two pages per sleeve), then place them in the binders and toss the remainder of the magazine into the recycling bin. You're saving space because, let's face it--most magazines are full of ads and/or articles/photos which probably aren't relevant or to your liking.

And you're saving money because, once you have a few binders full of your favorite magazines pages, you can (if you want) just buy the occasional magazine, ones which stand-out as extra-desirable and full of pages you can add to your binders. (I no longer subscribe to any magazines now.)

Magazine pages can be added to the binders haphazardly or can be grouped by subject (theme) or according to the contents of just one type (title) of magazine. For instance, I have one binder for just Home Companion Magazine pages, two binders with only Victoria magazine pages, and the rest are assorted from various magazines. Perhaps someday I will put together a binder with only photos, ideas and stories having to do with gardening... The possibilities are endless.

In fact, I made a cookbook this way using both magazine recipes and recipes copied off the Internet. If I spatter food on the pages, it's no big deal--I just wipe them off with a dishrag.

Just thought I'd pass along this idea... Oh! And here is my find for the day--a 'yum cup' which I found in an antique store. Isn't he cute?



***
Now, I realize some people LOVE their magazines and would rather drink a thimbleful of poison than tear them up. Obviously, this post is not meant for those people. :)

No comments: