Thursday, June 22, 2006

Contentment


My, my. According to some bloggers, you'd think 'contentment' was a horrid word.

Personally, I believe it's a marvelous one, for the Apostle Paul didn't think contentment so terrible, either, as when he said:

"I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation..." (Philippians 4:12)

--and--

"But godliness with contentment is great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6)

I can't imagine anyone advocating being discontented. Oh, I understand the reasoning-- not wishing to settle where you are, never moving forward. But that, to me, is not godly contentment.

No, I'm aiming for the kind my favorite teacher describes when she says I should "be content where I am on the way to where I am going."

Mmm. I love that because there is a huge degree of gratitude and thankfulness involved with contentment and I believe God is greatly pleased when contentment is of that grateful sort. 

What's the point of living of a God-given, God-blessed life, never to be contented with it? If I'm never happy with where I currently am 'in any and every situation' what's the point of moving on to another place where I'll be just as discontented? 

What's the point in always living a dissatisfied life?

So today I will walk around my house and drive around my town, with my husband, perfectly contented with this amazing life which God has given me. And may I keep my heart open to whatever it is God wants me to change or wants me to do or be up the long road ahead.



******

No comments: