Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why I Write About What I Write About


Fools rush in where angels fear to tread.

Meaning: The rash or inexperienced will attempt things that wiser people are more cautious of.


***


So.  In a couple comments from yesterday, birth control was mentioned, as in, wondering about the okay-ness with God.

And you know? That reminded me of something: For eight years in this blog, I've tried to only address subjects/Bible verses which I feel God has given me some insight/wisdom/failed-and-sometimes-passed test experience.

And I leave the rest alone.

Why? Because oh my... I've seen some Christian bloggers (often women) try to tie-up huge, controversial subjects in a neat little bow called a blog post and it's like watching the proverbial train wreck. Some readers come away feeling smug and others feel only devastation and deeper despair. I've shuddered (and seen red!) as I've watched Christian bloggers--usually without mercy-- venture into areas where not only angels, but seasoned, wise, compassionate pastors and theologians fear to tread.

And I refuse to do that, especially considering that teachers are held to a stricter, scarier standard.

So I will continue to write about only the lessons God's taught me through my own stupidity experiences, even if it means my blog posts often sound boringly the same. But I dare not knowingly venture out upon ground where I, myself, have not walked. I will not risk the disaster to others which that can bring.



*******

"There will be no mercy for those who have not shown mercy to others. But if you have been merciful, God will be merciful when he judges you."   ... James 2:13

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing."   ... 1 Corinthians 13:1,2



********

4 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

You are a very wise woman!

Anonymous said...

The thought yesterday was my own. I was not expecting you to comment on it. That is between me and God. I understood that. :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

I concur with Sarah...and that said, my hubby and I wonder about quite a few issues, that we never even gave a 2nd thought to when we were younger...looking back, reflecting, understanding some things more, the sort of thing that should come with age...but it is a good policy to avoid some areas, no doubt, Debra. None of us will get through life with 100% I think...this life is for learning. And only GOD knows when the learning is done. I do wish we had understood Scripture better when we were younger, as I think it would have helped our lives be much better...but we are where we are now. And all anyone can do is their best, at any point in time. I am so glad we have a loving, merciful FATHER!!
Elizabeth in VA

Debra said...

Robin--thank-you!

Sarah and Elizabeth--when people mention any subject in my comment section, I consider it a hint that it's at least on their minds. "Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks" etc. Then God lets me know if I should consider writing about it.

I try to keep this blog relevant and if I'm not writing about what's on peoples minds, well, it won't be. But as I said in this post, sometimes God will just say, let's not go there" and that's what happened after you both mentioned birth control.

Thanks, Everyone! Blessings, Debra