Tuesday, February 12, 2013

How To Prepare For a Mystery Future


"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well."    ... Matthew 6:33

***


I've heard people say lately, "It's not even possible to prepare for a Last Days type of world."

I, like, disagree.

How to prepare for a world we'll barely recognize, one stuffed with changes, even scary ones?

Today fall in love with Jesus. And stay there. (This will change and strengthen you more than anything else.)

Today remember perfect love dissolves all fear.

Today, during your current hard times, practice living with faith, with peace, without complaining. Increase your trust muscle. Pass your tests.

Today determine in your heart you'll never accuse God of wrongdoing, no matter what happens in the future.

Today stay at peace with your spouse. 

Today keep strife out of all your relationships as much as it's up to you. Strife slows everything down and closes our ears to truth.

Today forgive. Everyone. Today learn how to heal.

Today be obedient. Listen. If God asks you to do research, do research. If He asks you to spend your money differently, spend your money differently. If He asks you to live a new way, live a new way. 

Today ask God for wisdom.

Today plug into God's strength, His peace, His courage. Then He will truly be increasing, we will be decreasing and the world will more clearly see Jesus shining through us. And we'll be better able to walk in the Light, able to see--and avoid--certain dangers on the pathway ahead.

Today be still and know He is God.


********

"He must increase, but I must decrease.”   ... John 3:30

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."   ... Romans 12:18

"If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."   ... James 1:5

********

7 comments:

Rita said...

Debra,
I enjoy people so I've always found it easy to make friends. I'm 62 many of my friends and family have passed on. The friends that are left have inherited so much money they are snobbish. Most people I know now keep to themselves. My aunt is 78 I do enjoy going out to her place and sharing a cup of coffee. I have several blog friends. I guess what I'm trying to say that I seem unable to make friends these days. I'm friendly to people as I pass by but other than that I don't find others nearly as easy to get to know as I use to. I'm not sure it is possible to get along with people the way you are commenting although, I do like the idea.

Debra said...

Hi Rita! Oh, I can identify with what you are saying. I often think of the Bible verse which says "in the last days the love of many will grow cold." It really does seem like people aren't as close or kind as they used to be.

But I think what I meant in this post is this verse which I added at the end:

"If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone."

What that says to me is that *if* there's a way to live at peace with people (there may not always be), it's up to *us* to find it first, not to wait until others shape-up and act right before we treat them kindly.

It's not asking us to try to be best friends with everyone, but rather, to stay humble enough to not start arguments just because we think we're right and they're wrong. To so value peace, that we're willing to let others think they're right, realizing we may someday discover we were in the wrong.

*Not* to let people walk all over us, but to keep our godly boundaries yet walk in wisdom, so that our behavior isn't causing World War III every time we open our mouths. :)

Does that make sense? We can't change other people, but we can allow God to change us--and when He does--He helps us see others with eyes of love and understanding. And that's when Life gets easier, actually.

Thanks for commenting! Blessings, Debra

Elizabeth said...

Very well said Debra! You are so wise! Rita, I know what you mean, I feel as though it is harder to make new friends "in person" anyway.

Anonymous said...

I believe what you have written to be totally true. Thank you Rita for asking about that part so it was addressed and cleared for us. I was just wondering what you were referring to when you said you were continuing to prepare with things you got by coupons or sale. If some of your preps would be in a different vein now that you read recently. Did you figure the 2-3 year time line from the book you mentioned? I did not see it in the web site. I know no one knows what the future holds except Him. Yet there has to be reasoning behind the time line of 2-3 years. That is a very impressive list you have today. A very good one for any day of any year.

I have one thought on finding people. If you have one neighbor or relative or whatever you feel you can be close to. ... Ask them if they know of other like minded people they know. Perhaps they can get together and introduce you to them and then you have more people. We are to be a light so sometimes the people you feel not so close to you might be suppose to. Ask Him. I have also naturally asked God for someone. One time I was sitting in a mall and a much younger women..a stranger..sat down and we began to talk. We ended up friends. He knew just where she and I would be that day! She has since moved away and we have lost contact but for that season we were close. Sarah

Debra said...

Elizabeth--thank-you for your kind words!

Sarah--the 2 - 3 year financial fiasco thing is what I've seen here and there in my reading of books and at various websites. And I guess, just from thinking that our Country will reap what it sows and it can't go on much longer forever spending, spending, spending without the bottom falling out sometime.

I used to pray to find friends and God has truly answered those prayers! He has given me more friends than I've ever had before and I'm grateful. Mostly I keep in touch with them online, both real life friends and online ones, but for me, that works out so well since I'm such an introvert.

Since God became my very best friend, I've never felt lonely or as though I didn't have enough friends. I used to feel that way all the time before 1994, but friendship with God really, really does change everything!

Thanks, ladies, for your much-appreciated comments! Blessings, Debra

Bonnie said...

Rita, you are not alone. I wonder if it comes with age. (I'm 51) I'm introverted but raising our children always had a way of providing a lot of social stimulation along the line of youth group, soccer games, scouts, etc. With our children grown up, those opportunities are gone, and great effort is needed to have companionship. Somehow when it's forced it's not quite as enjoyable. I don't know the answer.

Debra, I am wondering....you don't talk much of church...do you and Tom attend church regularly or do you worship solo? Just curious, I don't mean to pry if it's private. : )

Debra said...

Bonnie--yep, when I do mention church it's usually in the past tense because for 35 years I attended almost more than each pastor did. :) But the last few years Tom and I haven't attended church as often. After we get moved and settled into our new home and state, we are planning on finding another church home and are already praying to find one which is alive and lets God lead as *He* sees best! Thanks for commenting... Blessings, Debra