Tuesday, February 19, 2013

No Happy Place? Uh-Oh.


"Peace I leave with you... Do not let your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid. [Stop allowing yourselves to be agitated and disturbed; and do not permit yourselves to be fearful and intimidated and cowardly and unsettled.]"   ... John 14:27 amplified

***

I know a ton of Christians, but I know very few peaceful ones. Very few.

Now is the time to pursue peace... Now, before a difficult Last Days future releases the seriously crazy times. Now's the time to build a place for Jesus and ourselves, alone, a happy place, if you will, where none of the bad Internet news can break down the door. Where peace still permeates the walls, pulsates the air, even when the world outside spins from one disaster to another.

A place like that is vital.

But the problem? No one, no real estate agent or dear friend can find it for us. We each must seek it alone, and then go there, repeatedly, coming away with peace, grace, patience and kindness--all good things-- so to calm our hearts and to spill over to others. So to spread a type of hunger so others will finally set-off on their own journeys, having spied the light in our faces and heard the peace in our voice.

I hope you've found that place. I discovered mine back in 1994 and visited so often that I hated to leave, so I learned how to carry it with me. Wherever I am, it is there, He is there, always on my mind, always soaking me in reminders of what's delightful and pure and holy rather than everything gone wrong in our sick, old world.

Always encouraging me to change what I can, to pray about what I can't, not stepping even close to bitterness about the ugly. Man's anger does not move God, but rather, love, faith, hope, prayer and a sweet, calm peace--they can move mountains.


********** 

Psalm 91:1  He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.

1 Chronicles 16:11  Seek the Lord and his strength;  seek his presence continually!

Isaiah 55:6  Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near.


This secret place is like a vacation cabin, but not the kind you only visit once a year! Oh my, no. Even once a day doesn't feel like enough once you've tasted of the joy there.


*********


Depressed? Still consuming aspartame/Nutrasweet? You may want to check-out these articles and here. Personally, you couldn't pay me to ingest that  &*%$#( stuff.


*********



Ooooooo.... Love that! :)
*******

4 comments:

Rosemary said...

The verse you opened your post with today was just the one I needed. You seem to have a pulse on the uncertainty a lot of us are feeling these days.

Anonymous said...

I am afraid I need more clarification on finding a place of peace. Finding it how? I understand I must find my own place as you mentioned. I feel peace knowing I am never alone that I have Him always... but what do you mean? A place in your mind you let yourself drift to or what? Years ago someone said to think of a place that makes you feel the best and think on that. I think instead of my grandchildren or a picture of Jesus with his arms open. Like when I go somewhere and get nervous I close my eyes and think on that and I calm down every time. I don't think that is what you mean though. Please explain further. I know this is Very Important. Sarah

Debra said...

Rosemary--thank-you for letting me know this was timely. That's always the best thing I can hear. Really.

Sarah--yes, you've got it. It's going to a place that makes you feel best *and* like the Bible verse says, thinking on those things which are of a good report.

One of my favorite things to think on is walking outside on a lawn on a sunny, quiet afternoon--sometimes I even go back to our old farm and do that, walk around in my mind and remember all the beauty there (but now having none of the work!). :)

When our hearts and minds are at rest we can more clearly hear the things Jesus wants to tell us. When we're at peace, it's a sign that we truly trust Him to work things out.

It's much harder to hear from Him when we're all in a panic, worried and discouraged because of the horrible things taking place in our world every week.

Hope that clears things up...

Thanks, Ladies! ...Debra

Anonymous said...

Yes!!, .. Thank you soooo much for clearing it up completely. I was thinking it had to be something deeper you were meaning. There have been days when it is not the world but me that is having problems cause of me!! ..that also too is when I need to remember to go there!! ;-) Next time I best remember!! For the good of all.... :) Sarah