Thursday, June 09, 2011

Tiny Houses, Big Ideas



Once I had a friend with a young daughter who received an American Girl Doll Catalog, but after seeing the prices of the items, she threw it in the trash. My eyes grew large when she told me that, for I'd received that catalog for years while Naomi was small and we would study them for design ideas. Then we'd sew our own doll dresses and create furniture for Naomi's dollhouse.

Never throw away ideas! (Well, keep them inside your head, anyway.) Just because you can't afford something the way somebody else bought it, you can let ideas inspire you to create your own versions of what you see. Let others' ideas push you along to whole other worlds of color and creativity and usefulness.

Immerse yourself daily in ideas and you'll never be bored or poor, either. There is a richness in creativity that can give you hope even when you haven't got a whole lot of anything else.




*******

Update: I originally shared some tiny house links in this post, but they're no longer usable.


*****

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I am stuck in the 70's too. I bought my first home in 1971. A stick built new home, 1100 sq. ft for $17,500. Now you can bearly buy a car for that and houses are 6 figures. That worries me a lot.

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

-clapping hands- Thank you for the links. I love this these things too. Small houses. Plans. Etc. :-)

Yes, I'm stuck *way-back,* as to prices too! And I'm reading a book on why we choose, as we do. And it's kind of explaining how I "got that way." :-)

~♥~

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

I went right from your blog, to one of my blogs-on-simplicity. And what did I find? A video about a family of 3, in a small house.

I've not played it yet myself, but I wanted to leave you a link to this entry. In case you want to look too. :-)

~♥~

carla said...

I can't believe I found your blog again! We had a hard drive crash a few weeks ago and I lost my bookmarks. Somehow (probably through my hopping and skipping around through the blogosphere) I'd discovered your blog and had started reading it; it was so encouraging to me, because, let's face it: for some of us, life is just hard.

Then the crash and I couldn't remember the name of it and I thought, "Lord, I can't even remember how I found it in the first place, with the millions of blogs, how would I ever find it again?".

So this morning I was doing a little reading on tiny houses and when I clicked on a link - there you were! I didn't even know that you posted on them.

Sometimes when I think God is mad at me/through with me, He gives me a little gift.