Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Of Wishers and Such



"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride." I used to say that to Naomi a lot, probably because my own mother used to say it to me.

I try not to become bug-eyed impatient with people who just loll around wishing their lives would change... wishing for pretty things or money or new friends or for a president who will turn our Country into a 1950's Happy Place (good luck, I'm thinkin' lately, with that last one).

Wishers have always made me nuts. Especially the times I've morphed into one of them.

Even as a child I realized that if you want something, well, you can create it! You can either work for money to buy things or you can work to win and woo a friend. Or you can use your imagination--and your hands-- to create something with stuff you already own. You can read books or watch movies or Life to become inspired and you can discover small ways to reach big heights.

The only insurmountable problem in Life is when your imagination is broken, soured or nonexistent. At least, that's how I've always felt deep inside.

Not that I've always lived by that. Nope, I've had my months of self-pity, my low, low, low times when my own imagination felt broken or too weary to even try. Times when I laid around hoping the world outside of me would suddenly meet the needs growing on the inside of me. But eventually God or others or my own spirit would yank me out of those pitiful places and set me back on solid ground.

And then the dreaming would begin again, the envisioning, the planning and soon, the work to make it all happen.

It's pretty useless to sit upon your couch waiting for your daily life to become better. Trust me. I know. Most often, better moments and better days are as close as your very imagination right there inside your own head--and heart.

What remains is to keep that imagination in good repair with much use.

4 comments:

Patty H. said...

What a great, timely post. I too often am wishign my life was otherwise. "If I had this" or "if I had done this", etc, etc. Feeling sorry for myself. Have to give myself a good talking to and have a good talk with God.
Thank you.
Blessings

... Paige said...

Great post! If you want something get up and get it, cause it ain't gonna pop next to you on the couch just cause ya want it to.

nancyr said...

I wish I knew how to forward this to a friend who really needs it!

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Amen! An inspiration to get up and do things..........Certainly an inspiration to count ones blessings and not focus on what one doesn't yet have.......I think you are recovering from your malaise, Debra, and may it continue....