Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Things I Hide From My Husband



(Intriguing title, huh?) ツ

I have been married a real long time and well, I've learned there are, generally speaking, two kinds of arguments:

The ones you cannot avoid.
And the ones you can.

And that's what I wanted to mention today--the arguments I avoid by hiding things.

Like what, you ask? 

Like my very own toolbox. Around 20 years ago I bought a toolbox and began collecting tools for it (cheap ones, Dollar Tree types. It's not like I use them everyday). I'd become extremely tired of needing hammers/screwdrivers/stud-finders/nails, etc., while Tom was at work and having to wade through piles of his tools to find them--or not find them. Which, of course, required that I nag Tom about his lack of organization and my frustration thereof.

A real marriage-saver, that one. My toolbox is my responsibility. I keep it hidden and so if a tool is missing? It's my own fault. End of where's-the-tools? arguments.

Something else I hide? A chunky black indelible marker which I find indispensable for my kitchen. After probably 25 years and 300 did-you-lose-my-chunky-black-marker-again? arguments, I finally got the idea to hide my marker in my hoosier cabinet, a cupboard Tom never peeks inside. Oh my, Life feels so good when I know my chunky black marker is still where I placed it. 

And now no needless chunky black marker arguments.

Know what else is inside that little cupboard? My very own flashlight. It only took me 27 years to finally start hiding one of those.  No more why-can't-I-ever-find-a-flashlight-around-here? arguments. Oh, how sweet that is! 

I also hide my own scissors, stapler, glue and measuring tapes.

Get the idea? I'm not talking about keeping secrets from your spouse,(lest you thought I was going there. Heh.) No, it's more like this:

Lots of arguments saved(avoided) = equals lots and lots of peace and harmony earned.

Well, at least, that's what I have found.


******

"The tendency to whining and complaining may be taken as the surest sign symptom of little souls and inferior intellects." ...Lord Jeffrey



(Ouch!)  

No comments: