Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Some Childhood Magic Restored




Finally, Tom and I, the last of all the good people of Blogland, went to see The Chronicles of Narnia.

 Now, here in this great land I'd heard all sorts of comments about this movie (taken from a book I've curled up and read many a time), so I wasn't sure what to expect. Many, many complaints I read.

So what did I think of The Chronicles of Narnia? It was perfect. Just plain perfect.

Tom and I especially loved Lucy, and her scenes with Mr. Tumnus. 

The first movie I recall watching in a theater, ever? Mary Poppins, way back when it first came out. I laughed uncontrollably when the soot-covered chimney sweeps danced through the children's house. Also, the next day out on the school playground, conversation about Mary Poppins was rampant. All my friends loved that movie, and you know? No one picked it apart. 

No one said, I thought this actor did a great job, but that other actor was lousy or the movie lasted too long, didn't have enough special effects, could have had less dialogue, fewer songs or more action sequences.

No, out there on the playground, we were still floating in the movie magic daze. 

And you know? I believe many of us, as adults, have lost that movie magic, and not just because we are all grown-up. But rather, it's become so popular now to absolutely tear movies apart at their weakest seams as a sign we're as intellectual, savvy and cool as the big kids are. 

And all the while, many people moan about having forever lost what was good about childhood when perhaps some of it's been squeezed out because of something else chosen in its place. 

Or maybe it's just me who sees it this way.

And well, I don't want to be like that. Becoming a critic can turn into a habit--trust me, I know. It starts with movies then you're criticizing your spouse, your children, friends, government, church, pastor, neighbors and well, your whole darn life. The very life God, Himself, breathed into you and planned-out for good, not evil.

I want to watch movies, both new and old, and remember and discuss what I loved about them. 

And the same goes for my life, except that instead of watching, may I participate--but not in all the complaining going on. No, in all the God-breathed magic out there on Life's big screen just waiting to be appreciated.


***

"You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest man that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond." ... Frank P. Church

"Do everything without complaining or arguing..." Philippians 2:14

No comments: