Sunday, May 08, 2005

Motherhood: A Wild Ride




Motherhood, for me, has been one wild ride.

I've been on this ride for 25 years and mostly it's been fun and has taken me to places I would never have otherwise gone. An adventure all-around--one which whips your hair back because it usually zooms by fast.

But a few days I wanted to shout, "Hey Mister! Stop this thing so I can get off awhile!," so that I could rest and even run away for a week, but you can't get off-- not like that. So you choose to change the way you respond to the dashing in and out on this wild ride. 

You change the way you see and the way you feel about it.

And yet the ride, itself, changes, too. The years stretch the track out into new territory and you grow with the new experiences. Because, again, you can't get off when it feels uncomfortable. You discover that you, too, must stretch.

The ride takes you to places only mothers can go. You meet others who understand where you have been: you see the ride reflected in their eyes. You meet others who've traveled where you're going and they help prepare you for what you will see.

There is no other ride like this one.

I wouldn't have missed it for anything.



******

Happy Mother's Day to all my readers!


******

No comments: