Thursday, May 26, 2005

Graciousness The Morning After




Congratulations to Carrie Underwood, 2005 American Idol!

Tom and I were thrilled with this year's American Idol choice. Tom especially--one night he called-in ten votes for Carrie! (hmm, should I be concerned?). 😃 I think I was an equal fan of both Carrie and Bo.

But really, Tom and I thought each of the top three--Carrie, Bo and Vonzell--could each have made a marvelous American Idol. Each was consistently amazing and we believe they'll go on to great singing heights.

This morning I went over to the American Idol website just to sample a few of the morning-after messages from fans of the show.

Good grief.

I was reminded that being in the spotlight is not all fun and glamour. There are great risks. 

What do I mean? Many Bo fans were not only vocal in their disappointment that Carrie won, but they blatantly attacked her character. It was sad, these people never spent one moment with Carrie in-person, yet they have her personality, her attitude all summed-up in caustic, bitter words.

Whatever happened to graciousness?

Well, rather than go on an ungracious tirade about today's lack of graciousness, er hem, I'll just add that the best way to change what we do not like, is to, ourselves, be an example in that area. Be the change we wish to see, as Gandhi said.

Of course, many people would say that's not enough. And yet, how can people learn to be gracious if they never see what true graciousness looks like?

After all, for the rest of us importance isn't placed on whether our favorite contestant won, but rather, how did we conduct ourselves after hearing the outcome? Was God disappointed or happy with our attitude about it?

So, wanting to do my part--congratulations to Carrie and Bo and Vonzell and all the Idol contestants who made it to Hollywood. You helped make this season of Idol the best so far and I wish each of you blessings on the road ahead.

******

"Graciousness: marked by kindness and courtesy, tact and delicacy. Characterized by charm, good taste, generosity of spirit. Merciful, compassionate. Courtesy and kindly consideration."

"Live such good lives among the ungodly that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us." .. I Peter 2:12

***

No comments: