Friday, May 27, 2005

Living The Dream



I had a Great Awakening this morning. An epiphany. A lightbulb moment.

It happened while I sat on the bed in my dream room, holding a cup of pretend coffee, the windows wide open to just-waking milky-blue skies.

Glenn Miller's Moonlight Serenade** wafting on the record player, my very own room hugging me inside my own old house in a very old town, a life with the sweetest husband on Earth, a lovely daughter in a nearby apartment, incredible friends, two cats gazing down from upstairs' windows.

Dusty old books lying everywhere, myriad sparrows in the backyard, a remarkable writing place--otherwise known as Blogland.

And then it hit me-- I am living my dream.

Right now, today, I am living in the very center of the culmination of my dreams for the past 30 years. The majority have all come true. And I'm living inside them.

Oh, I'd sort-of realized this before, yet this morning the thought overwhelmed me--in a good way. 

Back when only just a teenager, this is the kind of life I dreamed about while I was living the opposite of my dreams--in lands where I had no choice but to live (and had my imagination stretched nearly out-of-shape.) 

No wonder I always felt like an alien at 17--in many ways, I was.

But now the dreams, nearly all, have come true. And now? I'll keep living them. I've worked and dreamed them into being--dreamed dreams God gave me and helped me to fulfill so on they go.

Of course, I still have other dreams! You stop dreaming, you start dying. 

But equally important is realizing when your dream has come true and thanking God for it and living awake enough to splash around in it. No longer just looking at the clear, blue water from afar off, but really diving in there and swimming around--

--and learning to live with Grace in this new place. Looking ahead, but loving where God brought you, taking some time there to gaze around, call it good, then splash around some more.  In joy.



******

**To hear a sample of Moonlight Serenade, click here.

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."
...Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862)


******

No comments: