Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Time to Get Up, Time to Heal

"And the Israelites wept for Moses in the plains of Moab thirty days; then the days of weeping and mourning for Moses were ended." ... Deuteronomy 34:8


Kind-of a weird verse to share, right?

But you know? This verse often comes to me after I've spent time grieving over a death (the length of grieving time varies). But sometimes? Sometimes I also recall that verse after I've kicked myself a few days after my latest mistake. After I said something I shouldn't have. After my release of a Past thing (good or bad) is way overdue.

Joy. We need to joy to survive this 2011 life which can become so hard. Why? Because the joy of the Lord is our strength. Joy keeps us going when others just drop in the road and quit.

Yet what do we often do, instead?

We squeeze grief like it's the holy thing to do. We get odd ideas that to stop grieving for a lost loved one or a lost dream/opportunity/possession is to lessen its importance so we build a combo Tower of Babel/Temple over the site of our loss--and worship there. Or we carry around our guilt like huge bags upon our backs because we don't deserve joy.

We dedicate our lives to paying. Paying for our losses or our sins.

Well, either Jesus paid for what's wrong in this world--and our sins--or He didn't. Either He brings healing, or He doesn't

And well, He did. He does. He paid for it all, he still heals hearts and so what remains is for us to receive that payment. And the healing, too. To choose them over any past-their-date griefs.

"...the Lord said to Joshua, "Moses My servant is dead. So now arise, go ... you and all this people, into the land which I am giving to them."  Joshua 1:1,2


I love that, I really do. Why? Because there comes a time to end our mourning and move onto new places, otherwise we condescend to live without joy and that leads to living without strength--and we become weaklings. You know, everything overwhelms us, everything is too hard, everything is too sad.

So God, for our sakes, commands us to take up our mourning beds and walk, walk back into joy and strength and abundant life. But does He just tell us? No, He enables us to get back up. A nudge from God includes the power to rise again and move on, to let go of the Past and move on to an even better life ahead. That nudge contains all the power, all the joy, all the strength we need.



***********************


Isaiah 55:12


For you shall go out with joy and be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.


**********************


Again, God's not saying we shouldn't grieve at all (I once heard an evangelist preach that God does say that(!) ), but rather, there comes a time to end the grieving and move on in joy to special places He wants to take us.


***********************

Oh! Susan Branch shared her Peter Rabbit Room today. Love it.


************************


***********************

3 comments:

Morning's Minion said...

Reading this post I suddenly wondered if we [human-kind] hang onto grief too long because we don't know how to "be" next--feeling disloyal to let go of something/someone that has hurt?
Very thought provoking.

Julie soon no longer in Texas said...

I have found that the best thing to get me over the loss of death is a big dose of LIFE! We and the world's living things are still living and that vitality heals my mourning heart. (Not to say that I don't miss my departed ones, though.) May your lives will be continually infused with love and joy! :)

Robin in New Jersey said...

Excellent post!