Friday, January 05, 2007

If You're Going To Assume Anything...


There are more ways to simplify my life than just decluttering my house, my schedule and my purchases.

I can declutter my head, my thoughts.

One way? I can let go of assumptions, like, assuming just because certain people don't have my problems, they don't have any problems (worth complaining about, anyway).

In fact, usually I'm on the other end of that. Recently a friend let it slip that she thought my life was enchanted and I had it made, no real problems anywhere. 

And comparing her problems to mine, yes, that might appear to be true.

But things are not always as they appear. In fact, God said some enlightening things about making comparisons, such as:

"...but they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." 2 Corinthians 10:12

The fact, though? We all have problems, hard times to deal with,learn from. Each of us. These problems arrive custom-made--what may be hard for me, may be easy for you--and vice versa.

No one gets out of this life without experiencing hard times. No one. 

So there comes a time to stop assuming that some people are having just one long, la-de-da life filled with balloons, cotton candy and song.

The better thing? To assume everyone we meet has at least one difficult trial right now, something they may be hiding.

Assume everybody would appreciate a kind, encouraging word or thoughtful deed (even if they appear to be just dandy).

Assume everyone needs at least one friend in this life.

Assume everyone needs God and our prayers.

When it comes to those assumptions, I can assume away--to infinity and beyond! And the reflected results are much sweeter, richer and fulfilling than assumptions of the bitter type.

I know. I've done it both ways.


******

No comments: