Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Just Doing It ... And Changing the World





"And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” ... Esther 4:14



*********

What I've seen during my 50+ years? The Christians who daily use their God-given talents/gifts/abilities/callings make a difference in their world. By fulfilling their purpose for being here, their world changes around them and they, themselves, change, as well. They stay busy with good things and with allowing God to fine-tune them, so busy, that they don't have time to complain about much at all. 

So loving, that the hours fly by while they're praying for, and serving, others. I watch these people both in Real Life and on the Net and their peaceful attitudes inspire me. 

Those who love to bake--bake. Then they offer others, their neighbors, their hurting friends, the treasures from their oven--and if asked--advice and wisdom and concern toward those in need. 

They don't criticize themselves (or God) for their small baking gifts. Don't hang around wasting time, wishing they were singers or preachers or writers like other people they know. 

No, bakers, well, bake.

And writers write.
Singers sing.
Seamstresses sew.
Crafters craft.
Gardeners garden.
Hairdressers dress hair.
Pray-ers pray.
Servers serve.
Knitters knit.
Photographers take photos.
Teachers teach.
Babysitters sit babies.
Encouragers encourage.
Coupon clippers clip coupons.
Musicians make music.
Bloggers blog.
Animal lovers love animals.
Cleaners clean.
Personal trainers train.
Decorators decorate.
Movers and shakers move and shake...


... and all find themselves at the right time, in the right place, with the right words because they live God-directed lives, as opposed to selfish ones. They're in this to bless others, not themselves.

And accepters of their own gifts are happy in the doing of them. Happy in the serving, in the being used. For such a time as this, uniquely doing what no one else can do because God, in one-of-a-kind ways, creatively moves through them to touch and bless and heal and inspire others.

At least, that's what I've seen and experienced for myself. And I have found that being used by God is just about the most refreshing, rejuvenating, renewing thing, ever...

... and the changes that serving others brings, well, will blow you away once you allow yourself to swim out into the deep, never glance back, but keep swimming and swimming far out into those exhilarating, joyful seas of serving.



*****


What do you enjoy doing?
What are you good at?
What's your favorite way to help people?
What do you lose track of time, doing?

Answer these questions and you may just discover what God has created you, personally, to do in this life!


*****


*****


"As each has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace: whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ."  1 Peter 4:10-11


Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”  ... Matthew 22:37-40



******

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always thought of the thought grow where you are planted. I am reasonably healthy and even if I did have to reside in bed I could probably still pray or use the phone to call and encourage others. I have had druggies act nice to me when I try to talk to them here and then hear them badmouthing me later but they are not in their right minds. They are still God's children and if they cannot pray for themselves I surely can do that and anything else I safely can. I doubt very much we will ever be able to move and their are many problems in this area that have not changed but gotten worse through the years we have been here. We have never been accosted or harmed outsells. We stay busy doing volunteer work where ever we can and trying to be good neighbors and citizens. With retirement comes even more time for such things. We purposely do not mention bad things to each other any more than we have to. We do have to keep our eyes open and are aware of scary thing we have to watch out for. By keeping busy as you say you have no time for a pity party attitude. That doe not one any good. The Lord has laid several people on my mind I have been especially praying for and trying to encourage. Some are our worst offenders. I did not pick them. I feel God led me to have a special heart toward them. God does not want us to hide our light under a bushel and so hiding in my home is not an option. :) Our area is said to be the worst economic in the country and now but God is still on the throne and so not that much has changed really. He is still in control. His Biblical guidelines are still the same. There has never been a perfect area in all the world ever. Yes, I agree with your post. :) :) Sarah

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful post, Debra. It sure made me remember my dear mother who must have been one of the world's best bakers. Homemade bread, cookies, cakes, banana bread, butterhorns.. and she always gave away that love from the oven :-) Then I thought about the job I've done for over 30 years....nursing. As I've gotten older it has sure become harder to want to go to work. One of my friends from high school - who I caught up with on Facebook - recently wrote about attitude towards work. He suggested we look at it as though we are doing it not for us, but for God. It's HIS work we are doing. What an inspiration that has been for me, as the 12 hour shifts seem longer and longer. :)