Tuesday, March 20, 2012

When God Says "Leave it Alone"



Truly, I love to read.


And although I still prefer good old-fashioned books, I've become a fan of essays, books and articles online, also. And I've grown to love reading comments from people who leave their additional positive thoughts and revelations, thus enriching my reading experience.


But then there are the negative comments. 


You know, the unmerciful ones where people, like wolves, rip apart what and how a things been said and the people who were written about. Mean-spirited words and religious-spirited words, too, for of course, we know there's a difference between being truly godly and 'having a form of godliness'. 

There's being filled with almighty God and then there's being filled with a religious spirit which loves legalism, The Law and flogging people when they make mistakes, real or imagined.


Well anyway, God's been telling me (again) to leave those negative comments alone


He asked, "Since you realize I don't want you to be negative and mean and critical, why would you keep reading words from people who are?"


Why, indeed?


All that fault-finding stuff wears me down, makes me mad and colors my inside world all grey, zapping out the light and joy.


So note to self: For goodness sake, knock it off.  Leave the negative comments alone. You'll be happier--not only because that stuff brings you down anyway--but because you'll be obeying God and obedience opens doors for more joy.






******





"They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that! "  ... 2 Timothy 3:5






10 comments:

Mary said...

Too true and perfect timing Debra! I have a problem with wanting to see injustices punished on MY timeline. It is so hard to let that go, especially when the attacks are personal. You are very wise.

K.E. said...

It amazes me that people can be so hateful. As my mother say, if you can't say anything nice....well, you know the rest.

Yellowhouse Grandma said...

Oh Debra. How very timely! Just last night there was an issue on Facebook and I had that very thought "leave it alone". Don't go there. I wanted to reply but that Voice said Not! Thanks for the support. Even if we are right sometimes we can be so right, yet if God says "leave it". We would be wrong no matter what we said.

Robin in New Jersey said...

Hi Debra,

Thanks for the reminder. I needed it. I used to read a blog that was a lot of fun, the lady was a bit sarcastic and slowly over time she started to change and got really nasty. She even invented another blog to attack a blog because she was jealous. I kept reading there and then one day I thought to myself, why am I doing this? It's so negative! Recently I popped over to check her out and it was the same old stuff, only worse(attacking Christians.) Time to delete!

Have a great day.

Pat said...

Very timely...as usual!
I haven't posted a new blog since Sunday, and I've been praying to make my blog a happy place and not a place of my petty complaints. Real life is ok, but not whining!
Leaving it alone...great advice for many things in our lives.
hugs

Nan said...

I run a mile from negative stuff! Be it news, or nasty reviews.

Debra said...

Thanks, Everyone! I love hearing that something was timely, for many reasons, one of which is that I'm glad I'm not going through these things alone at any given time. ...smile... Your comments add so much to my posts--thanks!! Blessings, Debra

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm so glad I ran across your story this morning. I noticed every time I think about something negative a still Small Voice would say leave it. I didn't really understand what it meant. After reading your story, now I understand.Thank you so much. I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Wow!. How you talked about reading negative comments on social media and YouTube, I feel the same exact way you felt.. I really thought I was the only one who felt like this. God answered my prayers. I've been praying a long time about the same thing you were talking about, and this morning you hit it right on the nail. God is so real. I feel such a great relief. I thank God for using you to set lot of people free. I'm one of them. I don't have to be tormented with that anymore. Thank you for allowing God to use you and thank you for being obedient God bless you & I pray for him to continually use you for his glory. Amen.

Unknown said...

Wow! I thank God for allowing me to find your story!…I wondered why is it that every time I would think something negative I would hear a still Small Voice in my mind saying leave it. I never really understood what that meant but after reading your story now I understand. The devil has been using this to torment my mind for a long time. I thought I was the only one who felt the way you felt, especially about reading those negative comments on social media and YouTube I thought the exact thing that you said. You worded it exactly as I thought it. I just had a problem expressing it in words to God. Reading those negative comments would literally messed up my whole day. I was really miserable and irritated it took a toll on my daily living. I'm so grateful that I ran across your story I feel so much peace now. I thought I was the only one in the world that felt like I was feeling. I'm so grateful for you allowing God to heal others through your experience. May God bless you and continue to use you. If God had not led me to your blog I would still be feeling the way I was feeling. God is good and God answers prayers rather it be in church or on the Internet. And to God be all the glory, Amen.

Unknown said...

I'm the exact same way .I trust God at his word Vengeance is mine says the Lord .who knows better how to stop injustice but god