Thursday, March 22, 2012

Of Respecting Unity



So don't laugh, but Tom and I watched the first two Lord of the Ring movies again this week.


I know, I know. But lately I've wanted to watch only shows with substance and those certainly have that. And after watching all the gorgeous scenery of the Shire and Rivendell and the courageous journeys and long, hard-fought sword and spear battles, etc., my main thought was: 


... truly, I need to stop getting annoyed with Tom over tiny things.


Sounds odd, I know, but God reminded me that--to keep satan out of our home--we must keep love, agreement and unity in. Especially during these 2012 days when tons of relationships are being blown apart.


So I decided to stay in unity with Tom, as best I could. I pictured everything becoming smooth sailing around here, because hey, now I'd be more loving and patient and we'd get along better (lately I've been the cranky one, I confess. sigh). But now unity would keep the uglies away.


Oh boy. Things changed all right. On Tuesday we began gathering our receipts for our tax return and always, always Tom and I have hated paperwork. You know, keeping track of it, filing it and the way you always can't find those two most important receipts which The Paper Snatchers steal every single year, the cruel ol' meanies that they are. :) 


And well, it happened again. We couldn't find some very important receipts. But in the midst of the rising tension, before it got anywhere, we decided to just gather what we could, make some notes, then search for the missing papers tomorrow. After all, a good start is a good start--and it felt terrific to at least make a dent.


Then came Wednesday. Gah! 


We searched through files and brief cases and drawers for the missing papers/receipts and could not find them anywhere. They are still missing. And oh, the tension rose, even while I whispered to myself over and over, "Remember Lord of the Rings, remember Lord of the Rings," and prayed and tried to remain calm.


And then in the middle of all that, we got a phone call. Remember our dear local dairy who we'd gotten home delivery from for years and who we had to release weeks ago because of our financial crunch? Well, the woman in the office called to say our check had been returned with an "account closed" stamped on it (!) and we now would be charged $20 more.


^%*&^%)(*^%$#@&


Good grief. Last week Tom went to the bank to close a tiny, extra account we no longer needed and, obviously, the bank lady closed the wrong one! Our one-and-only main account had been closed, for I'd used a check from that one. 


And what do Tom and I hate just one notch below paperwork? Incompetence. Grrr.


And so then, as Tom stormed into his room to get dressed so he could drive back down to the bank, Sammy The Cat pushed past him out the door. Tom shouted, "Sammy's out! Sammy's out!" and then Daniel the Cat tore after him down the basement stairs with me racing after both cats, shouting, "No! No!", picturing another huge veterinarian bill if Sammy bit Daniel again.


But alas. In the midst of all the boxes and junk down there, I was able to chase both adrenaline-fused cats back upstairs and Sammy flew straight for his room again and Tom shut the door.


Obviously satan did not appreciate my quality decision to love Tom better. 


Well, to sum this up, Tom drove to the bank (and I cleaned the house which is what I do in times like these) and the manager apologized profusely for the person who'd pushed the wrong button. She said the bank would send any letters of explanation if needed and would pay all the check-return payments necessary. Then Tom came home, made three phone calls to companies I'd written checks to this week and patiently explained to them what had happened. 


And then we ate the ice cream he'd brought home with him (which we certainly deserved) and watched the movie, Hidalgo, an old favorite, in the sort of peace which comes after a storm. 


Still in love, for love is the greatest, most vital relationship protection there is, especially in this troubled century. Still standing strong in that love, lest the enemies of our souls burrow in through rifts ... and lest they intrude to permanently spoil what God has given us here at our sweet Hobbit Cottage.






**************


A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back-to-back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken.   ... Ecclesiastes 4:12




"And let us not lose heart and grow weary and faint in acting nobly and doing right, for in due time and at the appointed season we shall reap, if we do not loosen and relax our courage and faint."  ... Galations 6:9







**************

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm glad the bank is making right on their mistake! I can only imagine how frustrating that must be.

Mary said...

Testing...1.2.3.Testing...Wow Debra, I had a GREAT day compared to you:)

Judy said...

"Obviously satan did not appreciate my quality decision to love Tom better."

That's just such a great line!

Obviously, he did not.

But I just bet that Tom did!

Robin in New Jersey said...

Wow! What a day! I can't believe the bank would do such a stupid thing! Glad it got straightened out.

K.E. said...

Wonder what's going on in the bank person's life? Kids in trouble at school? AC just go out? Dog died? Husband said they wanted a divorce? Car broke down, & no money to fix it?
Maybe a small prayer for them would sooth the frustration. At least the bank is taking responsibilty for the mistake.

Debra said...

Thanks for your sympathy, Everyone! :) I appreciate it. Sure was a hard day, butafter the phone calls--and the ice cream, heh-- we were fine again.

Oh and K.E.--it was just a matter of the woman pushing button number 1 instead of button number 2 on a computer. A simple mistake, we realize, but one which will take awhile to straighten out. The unemployment people tried to make the first deposit of these new weeks, but it was rejected. We will have to straighten that out, too, but must wait until late tomorrow when our account will again be up (it's technically still unavailable). Sigh. But of course, it wouldn't hurt to pray for the woman, too....smile...

Thanks again! Blessings, Debra