Friday, March 16, 2012

Another Birthday?! My, My...

So guess who's having another birthday?


Wow!... these things sure add up after a few decades.


Yes, it's another birthday for me and I think I'll keep it simple. I'll probably drive the few blocks to my favorite supermarket and maybe have some coffee there and sit with a couple magazines while tapping my toes to the retro tunes, something I've not done since we moved here. Then I'll buy a few cans of cat food for these crazy cats of ours. Alas.


Oh! And here's a picture of Sammy in case you're wondering what he looks like:








Then later Tom and I will order out for Chinese and perhaps finish watching The Two Towers (for the fourth or fifth time), but you know? I like all three of those Lord of the Ring movies because they speak to any recent questions rolling around my brain. They remind me there's a battle going on for our very souls--and always--to fight bravely. 

And never set my shield down, all forgotten-like.


And oh, that reminds me. For the second or third time, Tom has the option of extending his unemployment insurance checks. Wow! We've already been receiving them for something like 73 weeks and we'd thought last week was the final one. 

But two days ago they said we could have more, though Tom will have to hop through some extra hoops to receive them, but that's ok.


 In all these weeks we've cut back so much spending, so much so, that these checks have seemed like more than enough, especially when you add the way God has swooped in a few times to cover the major expenses which arrived unexpectedly.


And you know? I've come to love this new simplicity. Really. 

And Life does become much simpler when you have lots of choices removed because you just don't have the money to travel certain places or buy that big (or small) new gadget/book/trinket. And what is left? A peace which comes from knowing God will provide for the necessities.


I highly recommend simplifying ones life. Tossing the clutter, then refusing to load other, new clutter into the house. Keeping ones mind uncluttered, also, and at peace, by being obedient to God and trusting in the middle of all hard times. 


And setting aside whatever it takes to fall in love with Jesus. That's what I recommend the very most, because--once you have that love--everything will look differently, good even in the midst of bad, and you'll always have a friend sitting there beside you, comforting you, gladdening your heart. 

Come what may.






******




"In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one."  ... Ephesians 6:16





Oh! Y'all know how I love out-of-the-box stuff, and well, this certainly qualifies. Oy!




*******

22 comments:

Rosemary said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Debra! Thanks for sharing your spiritual journey with us readers. I am inspired every morning by your words. The contentment in your heart is surely a gift from God. Blessings today and always...

Rita said...

Hi Debra,
I do wish you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I follow your blog daily and enjoy the many things I learn. I cannot have a big sale like you did which I admire greatly. It is a lot of work. But I am having garage sales and getting rid of things as quick as I can. My daughter is selling some of our things on Ebay. We are even cutting back our meals because we both need to lose a few pounds. I'll let my magazine subscriptions run out because I find all that I need on the blogs I read. You are an inspiration. Thank You!

Anonymous said...

Hi Debra, Happy Birthday and many more! Love the picture of Sammy and the one of Daniel,from the other day. Hope he is doing well. So glad you have cats, again. Have you seen the new Keifer Sutherland show "Doubt"? We watched the pilot last night. Think you might like. Hugs, Joyce in Texas

Tracy said...

Wishing you a very Happy Birthday, Debra! May the Lord bless you today and in the year ahead. :)

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Dear Debra, Happy Birthday! It sounds as though you and Tom have wonderful plans, and what a nice gift the extension of unemployment checks is!

May God bless you today and always!

Yellowhouse Grandma said...

Happy happy birthday girl! Wishing you all the more peace and contentment your heart can hold. Have a great day, you and Tom and God and Grace! You've been helping me rely more on God and Grace too!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Debra! I'm so glad to hear of Tom's checks extension. Hope the kitties are doing well, especially the little walking wounded guy.

Enjoy your day. Sounds great.
Wilma

*Reading Between the Lines* said...

Happy Happy Birthday!
March is a wonderful month for birthdays...we have "several" in our family.
Have a Simply Sunny Son Day. 8~)
Take care,
Nancy

Sara said...

Happy happy birthday my friend!

jodi said...

Happy Birthday Debra. Enjoy the day!

Elizabeth said...

Happy Happy Birthday !!!
Loved this post!

K.E. said...

Happy Birthed Day Debra!
May your year be blessed.

Bonnie said...

I think Blogger/Google ate my comment. Sorry if it posts twice. : (

Happy, Happy Birthday, Debra. Glad you turned on your comments to receive your birthday wishes. I hope you and Tom enjoyed your take-out birthday dinner tonight! Will there be any birthday cake?

My husband and I will hop on a plane tomorrow morning to visit my parents in your neck of the woods. I will be *waving wildly* as we speed past your area!

Congrats on the extension of your checks, too!
Warmly, Bonnie

Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday Debra! Wishing you a happy day and a great year! :)

Trish said...

Happy happy birthday to you, from a loyal reader Trish

Trish said...

Happy happy birthday to you, from a loyal reader Trish

Anonymous said...

I too wish you a Happy Birthday !! :) It was so good to be able to comment today!!! What a nice extra present to have the employment checks extended. Especially with how simply you have been living thinking they were over they must really seem like "extra" $. You have actually been on the road to simplicity now for at least several years...but it is like an onion...you peel off a layer at a time. {weird comparison I know simplicity/onions. :). What can I say Debra, you make me think, smile and ponder and be happy to be alive, and as always turns us back to God thinking. I wish I could write to make you understand just how much your writing mean to me. I don't have the writing talent you have...that is not one of the talents God gave me...but He sure did give it to you! :) Thank you and again Happy Birthday!!! :) :) Sarah

Mary said...

Happy Birthday Debra (a day late) I am so glad you had a great day. I agree the simple pleasures are the best! I am glad you opened your comments so we can let you know how much your thoughtful writings mean to us.

Robin in New Jersey said...

Happy Birthday, Debra! Hope you had a great day.

When my husband was unemployed 2 years ago, the benefits were extended which was a blessing.

We have been living very simply since he returned to work a year ago. He makes less than half of what he used to and we can barely make ends meet. It's really hard when you have 4 teenagers and the answer is always, no, we can't do that, there's no money. But we are seeing the Lord provide in ways we never would have expected. And we are learning to trust in HIM more than ever.

Tell us what kind of cake did you have for your birthday? Any special gifts?

Dolores said...

Dear Debra, I wish you a super duper happy birthday!

Debra said...

Oh, I appreciate your birthday greetings so much, Everyone! Thanks for taking the time to contact me and wish me well. I'm grateful for each of you.

Oh, and for those of you who wondered, I made a pineapple-upside-cake for my birthday. :)

Thanks again and God bless you for being sweet.... Blessings, Debra

Judy said...

Oh! So sorry to have missed the actual day!
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear amazing beloved blog-friend sister in Christ Debra!
Happy birthday to you!