Tuesday, August 31, 2010

When Change Comes With No Warning



Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

Tom called me from his cell phone at 3:30 and said he was in the driveway and could I help him carry some things inside the house?

Three-thirty?! What was he doing home so early, I asked. "Is anything wrong?"

"Well, there's something not too right."

So I ran out to the car, reached for the bags inside the opened window and jokingly asked, "Well, you weren't fired were you?"

Tom replied, "Actually, I was laid off."

Oh dear. My stomach dropped. "Tom, you're not joking, are you? You wouldn't joke about this would you?"

No, turns out he wasn't kidding. He was in a group of 4 guys laid off today. The company is downsizing to just a tiny skeleton crew.

My first thought? "Breathe. Breathe. Stay calm. Save the tears for later."

And then, "This doesn't happen to us! Not after what amounts to 22 years with the same company." (Technically it's not the same company, but as close as it gets.) "This happens to other people!"

But it has happened. And if it's happened to you, I now know how you feel. In the nearly 32 years of our marriage, Tom has never been laid off. Never been without a job.

Sigh.

So right now we are all about scribbling numbers on backs of envelopes and what can we cut back on and --?? Well, you know.

And remember how I was complaining about this farm? Well, forget all that, ok? Just ignore those posts because, right now, at this moment, I am so grateful for this roof over our heads. This home place. This place we, hopefully, can pay off somehow so it will be ours (fortunately, we don't owe too much on it).

Wow. Change. It can happen in a moment.... in as long as it takes for someone you've worked with for 17 years to call you into his office and to, shakily, tell you he's sorry, but ..........

Everything will be all right (I keep telling myself). Please pray that we will make all the right decisions, ok? And that we won't become all negative and say a bunch of doubtful stuff. Tom and I so believe in the power of life and death being in the tongue... and we so want to honor God with our words. Even now.


****************


Proverbs 3:5
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding."

13 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Dear Debra,

You and Tom are in my prayers. I am sure that if this door has closed, another will open.......Can't help thinking Tom's company has made a big big mistake. What a shame.....

Hugs from Ohio,

Kristi

Pat said...

Believe it or not, I felt the same way when my husband was forced into early retirement due to political games at the Fire Dept. What did I do after I started breathing again? Let God have control once again.
I pray that you and Tom will have that peace that passes understanding as God prepares you for what He has planned for your next step in live...and we KNOW He has it all worked out.

jodi said...

I am praying for you both.
And I'm sorry.

Laura said...

Oh wow. I'm so sorry. I will be praying for you both, for the circumstances and for your hearts.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debra, prayers from here, too. We have been through this, a couple of times-it IS such a shock. Thinking of you today, dear friend. Joyce

Jan said...

Debra, I think God has been preparing your heart for the move you are about to make. Imagine thinking it was time to sell and move on just before Tom is laid off. God's sense of humor is great. Follow His lead!

K.E. said...

Oh Debra,I am so sorry. That is quite the shock after so many years.

After suggestions from friends, I tried Craigslist, (which I had been avoiding because it feels somehow slightly sleazy), and have been on two interviews.

Perhaps CL has the new job of Tom's [and your] dreams too.

Tracy said...

I'm so sorry, Debra! Will be praying for your situation. {{hugs}}

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, Debra! I just read about the lay off and I'm so sorry you are faced with this, but I am a firm believer that when a door closes, a window (of opportunity) opens.
I know you and Tom will be fine. Maybe your daughter being there can help with expenses, even in a small way.
God's plan isn't always our plan, but it will work out.
nancyr

My name WAS Female, I shit you not! said...

This too shall pass.
(((hugs)))

Jammie J. said...

Oh dear... I do know how you feel, having been there exactly a year ago. (sigh)

It's a scary place to be, when you're faced with bills and budgets and a downsized income to try and cover them. Rather like a twin sized blanket on a queen sized bed. Hopefully he qualifies for unemployment.

I'm so sorry you find yourself in this place.

Be kind to each other...

Beth said...

Oh my! I've been offline for the past week and I'm just now catching up with your posts. I am so saddened to hear of your husband's job situation. I have no words of wisdom or advice, but know that you are both in my prayers. I know a lot of people who are in your situation and it is tough....but your strong faith will help you through this season. (Hugs) to you both.

Nan said...

Debra, I haven't been over for a while and just saw this. My thoughts are with you two as you go through this time. But even this is better than I first thought - that your Tom was ill.