Thursday, March 27, 2008




Oh wow.

Have you seen the new Kohl's department store commercialI seldom love tv ads, but that one? Wow. 

While 'Horse With No Name' plays, four young women are shown traveling in a convertible (oooh) through the desert and one girl lifts her scarf, letting the wind catch and grasp it away. It floats to the road so they stop the car and then they (in beautiful, trendy clothes) run down sandy dunes where they come upon a gorgeous carousel (in the middle of just sand for miles. So cool.) which lights up, after which they jump up on it and twirl around. Then they frolic back through the sand to their car and drive away, leaving a yellow hat laying on the road.

And then comes the reason I'm even writing about this. A slogan pops up. It reads:

"Kohl's: Expect great things."

Oh my goodness. I've learned to discover encouragement and lessons in odd or ordinary places and I found both today in that slogan.

"Yes! Expect great things," I reminded myself. "God would want you to believe for the best in people, in circumstances and Life, in general."

But how easy it is to slip into a lazy sort of expectation apathy. You know, expecting that Spring will never really get here, that the skies will always be as grey as they were today--

--or that I'll always be in this state of mid-life adjustment, always having to adapt to this my-fate-is-up-in-the-air feeling.

Or expecting that tomorrow will be just like today (Dullsville), that I'll keep running out of things to do in this tiny (but nice) apartment or that I'll never catch up with my email, snail mail or --

You know. That kind of thing.

It is good to pause, sometimes, and ask, "Just what am I expecting, anyway?"

Always, God has something better and He wants me to believe for it. He is all about faith, hope and love, also--and everyday I'm given opportunities to believe for all that. And even more.

And so Kohl's--even though the one time I visited your store I nearly bounded out the doors, screaming because of your high prices--I do thank you for your tv commercial, your reminder, and I'll be taking your advice to expect great things. 

I promise.


******

2 comments:

Deborah Raney said...

I haven't seen the commercials, Debra, but they sound neat. You did a good job of describing them. And I've gotta say I love their clothes. And if you shop only their sales racks, you'll be amazed at what you'll find. Some of my favorite jackets came from Kohls and I don't think I paid over $20 for one of them. And invariably when I get up to the cash register, I discover my sale items are an ADDITIONAL 15 or 20 percent off. My last trip there this winter, I got 5 things (jackets and tops) and the total price was the original price of one of the jackets! I love bargains like that! : )

Beemoosie said...

What a lovely and encouraging post!! Something I needed to here!
~Blessings!