Tuesday, February 06, 2007

"What Is That To You?"



"Peter turned and saw that the disciple whom Jesus loved was following them... When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?"

Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." John 21: 20-22


***

Now there's a couple verses which will set you free!

I mean, for ages I let myself feel discouraged, intimidated when I'd listen to my Christian friends tell about their latest Christian exploits, good deeds and ministries. You know, how they read hours of the Bible, prayed each day, practically lived at church and how their kids were 'on fire', becoming little ministers.

I'd have to (nearly) hold my head up with my hands to keep it from drooping in discouragement, intimidation or guilt. And I'd walk away with this weighty "I-just-can't-keep-up-with-the-big-kids' feeling draped over me like a curtain.

But how wonderful to really get--once and for all--Jesus' marvelous words: "...what is that to you? You must follow me." Wow! 

Took me long enough to realize we all have different callings, gifts, talents and ministries--and a unique friendship with God. We each have different roads to take because we're meant to help different people, so all needs will be met (ideally). 

Not all people will respond to every testimony, every life journey.

How refreshing to realize what matters is that I obey God, not that I keep up with anyone. Not that I arrive in Heaven with the same testimony, the same story, my Christian friends had. 

And a journey taken in freedom? It's unforgettable. Every day is a joy.

Now.


***

"... but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise." 2 Corinthians 10:12


"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you..." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

No comments: