Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So You Think You're Being Persecuted?




The Bible says there's such a thing as persecution for the godly.
And then there's 'persecution' because I was just plain stupid.

Ten years ago there's no way God would have let me have a blog.

No, back then He couldn't have trusted me with the huge responsibility which is Blogging. Constantly I'd have stated things in defensive ways--long lines of people would have crowded into my comment box just itching to to criticize me. And ugh. Rightly so.

Then I would have whined and sighed, "I'm being persecuted in my blog. Poor, mistreated, misjudged me." I'd have fought back and oh dear. God would've been embarrassed to pieces.

No, really.

Here are examples of what I would have said back then and how I would say it now:

Then: Only an idiot would think he could get to Heaven by a different route than through Jesus.
Now: "Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.'" ... John 14:6

Then: I don't care what your school or your pastor or your own mother taught you--they were wrong in this case.
Now: While growing-up we learn tons of things, but there comes a time to finally seek God for real Truth--and be willing to relearn some of what we have learned.

Then: What? You don't read at least one chapter a day from the Bible?
Now: One man's obedience is another man's works. Each of us should read the Bible as God leads us, individually.

Then: Huh! Well, someday you'll see I'm right when your wobbly knees are bowing and your tongue is confessing that Jesus is Lord!
Now: "...that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord..." Philippians 2:10,11


How we speak is equally as important as what we say. We need more than just the right message--we need the right tone stemming from a pure heart.

What a frightening thing to be held responsible for the part we play!  What a heavy responsibility to represent our Father--but one doable via His grace.

How important, then, it becomes for me to die daily so that any persecution which comes my way will be because I was like Jesus--not because I was, like, stupid.

******


"In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted..." ... II Timothy 3:12

"...be therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." ... Matthew 10:16


******

No comments: