Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Let It Go? Let *What* Go?




"...let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." ... Hebrews 12:1


***

Nearly every day I hear someone, somewhere, say, "Just let it go." I hate to see it become such a glib, trite saying, because letting go is vital--it has basically saved my life.

I can't afford to hold onto heavy things--I have a race to run. I don't want to be like a runner running a race in which he, alone, is trying to run while holding a large television set against his chest as everyone else flashes right past him because their hands are free.

Let it go. Let. It. Go.

I've had to let go of thinking always I'm right and that there's only one way to learn, do and see. That it's just fine to express my opinions about other peoples' choices.

I've had to let go of expecting too much from other people and blaming others for my own actions. Of seeking more from myself than even God expects.

I've had to let go of unforgiveness and nagging people into making changes and being led and directed by my emotions rather than by Truth.

I've had to let go of the past, perfectionism, criticism, legalism. Fear, also, and worry, dread and thinking that, because my blog post received no comments, it must have been rotten.

And still I'm letting go. It's so daily and requires years, really. Yet the freedom is progressive daily, also, and oh, how wonderful now to run free.


******


"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." I Corinthians 13:11

"Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." John 8:32

No comments: