Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Dwindling Scope of Imagination




I read that the average 40-year-old has just 2% of the average 5-year-old's imagination. 

Probably, that is one of the saddest statistics I've ever read, yet it's one I believe to be true.

Our dwindling imagination shows when we always drive the same roads to work or to the supermarket or we --

--eat the same ol' meals at the same ol' places.

--never rearrange our furniture or our schedule.

--believe the same ol' things about the same ol' people, places and principles, cease growing.

--become suspicious of new ideas.

And here's one--I visited a favorite blog and was profoundly disappointed that the author had resorted to the ever-popular game of criticizing a mega-church pastor by name (and the comment box was filled with nodders in agreement.

Basically? We show our lack of imagination when we criticize teachers, preachers and evangelists who approach things differently than we would. Because when we make comparisons we totally disregard these verses:

"There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men....The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" ... 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, 21

Oh, we're so clueless to the plans God has for other people! Most of our days we don't even understand His plans for our own life so why do we pick apart those brave souls who are 'out there' actually using their gifts?

If I ever illustrate that kind of imagination-barrenness in this blog, please leave me a note (a kind one, I hope) in my comment box.



******


"A man's steps are directed by the Lord.
How then can anyone understand his own way?" ... Proverbs 20:24

No comments: