Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Tom and I Have Already Opened Our Gifts(!)

"I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)."   ... John 10:10


*****


Christmas Eve Day! And I've already opened all my gifts.

Like, I just now sat down from puttering in the yard in my regular clothes (no jacket) and 49 glorious degrees. I fed the birds, raked some leaves (it never ends around Hobbit Cottage) and pulled up some sad-looking, spotty-white hosta stems. 

If you live where I do and you're out in your yard humming and happily puttering on December 24th, it is a big deal. Normally you'd be at the windows gazing upon snow and wishing for an early spring and maybe that you could afford a winter place in Florida.

But today I have Springtime in my heart and even in my yard.

Anyway, since Tom and I feel so spoiled this year, we're not doing gifts for each other(!)

We've already received too much. 

I mean, there's the big new window which opened-up more of our world and the river to us and there's the fireplace which, ok, cannot bring me lasting happiness, but is currently trying nonetheless.



(Most nights I burn tea lights in goblets in there and even feel a tad warmer just staring at their flickering.)

There's the cute kitchen window, also, which makes me smile.





Plus there are the books I've bought, the little hanging shelves (not pictured above) and my much-appreciated slipper chair upstairs, not to mention Tom's electronic doodads he bought for himself. Tom does love a good electronic doodad.  

This year we've already received too much. Our hearts are even now so full--and not just with stuff and things, either. Uh, no. But with a sweet daughter (who sent us a heavy box in the mail), good friends, and with the God who never leaves us alone.

So this Christmas  we are simply planning to watch two movies at the nearby theater and that will be a rare treat. 

Even that feels too good, really.




*****



"Also, every man to whom God has given riches and possessions, and the power to enjoy them and to accept his appointed lot and to rejoice in his toil—this is the gift of God [to him].
 For he shall not much remember [seriously] the days of his life, because God [Himself] answers and corresponds to the joy of his heart [the tranquility of God is mirrored in him]."   ... Ecclesiastes 5:19-20


"I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year."   ...  Charles Dickens


*****






This Christmas as with the past ten, I'll be thinking of all of you, my much-appreciated readers who encourage me way more than you realize. If not for you, most likely, this blog would be a ghost town by now.

So thank-you.  Truly.

And Merry Christmas to all you who read here!


*****

Early this morning our local news shared this short video showing cats with Christmas trees and it made Tom and I laugh! (Click on the first one, Cats vs. Christmas Trees.)


*****


Free Kindle book:


Love's Reckoning





7 comments:

Tracy said...

Merry Christmas, Debra and Tom! Thank you for your blog which is always a source of encouragement and inspiration.

Debra said...

Thank-you so much, Tracy, for your encouragement and merry Christmas to you and your family! I know it will be special...! Blessings, Debra

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Wishing you and Tom the joys and blessings of Christmas (even more of them) and a wonderful 2015!

Debra said...

Thank-you so much, Kristi! I appreciate all your good wishes here and in the lovely email card you sent. My very best wishes to you and your family in 2015 and always and thanks for reading here for so many years! Blessings, Debra

mabeane said...

Merry Christmas.
Those gifts given over time are the best.
Here we bought a new washing machine, fixed two cars, replaced a sump pump, installed a brand new wood stove all this fall. Good gifts that made us both very happy.
The heavy rains and warm temps made for disappearing snow.
Peace and joy have filled our lives. I am so thankful.
I have also enjoyed reading your blog almost every day. Keep up the good work.

Robin in New Jersey said...

Merry Christmas Debra! You are such a blessing!

Debra said...

MaBeane--those sound like great gifts, indeed! And isn't it wonderful to live a thankful life? Thanks so much for your kind words!

Robin--I'm sure you had a merry Christmas, Robin, with your special family! Thank-you for being sweet!

Thanks Ladies! Blessings, Debra