Monday, December 01, 2014

Confessions, Lest My Sins Find Me Out


"Catch all the foxes, those little foxes, before they ruin the vineyard of love..."   ... Song of Solomon 2:15


*****

Remember when I said that HGTV and I had broken up? That I couldn't bear hearing the same ol' We-Must-Have's of spoiled house buyers?

Well. I confess: Sometimes I still watch that stuff.

But hey! I have my reasons, namely, my ancient tv upstairs doesn't have the bells and whistles of the cable box downstairs so I'm limited in what's available during my Sunday Afternoon Camping Times up there. Or late on weeknights I enjoy falling asleep to pleasant, non-violent shows so I'll have sweet dreams.

But usually HGTV is a last resort, ok?

Still, I wanted you to know lest you discover that from someone else. Lest I present myself as something I'm not. To me that's important because--like you--I'm sick of hearing about Christian folks (especially) who started great, but finished poorly. Those who became sloppy or proud along the way and later, got caught in a web of lies. And broke a bunch of our hearts.

And though I don't tell you everything about myself or my family, what I do tell, I try to share honestly. Though (another confession) sometimes I do apply the ol' 'poetic licence' as in, I might write that something happened on a Saturday when actually it was a Sunday. Or maybe I'll exaggerate a thing for the sake of humor or leave out details that don't add to the story (or which would make a good post of their own, later).

But I've never purposely, knowingly lied here in ten years of blogging. I'm too scared, too chicken-ly to do that. I've got too much reverential fear of God and oh Honey, what He says about liars!

Besides, I watch those true crime shows. I've seen what happens when husbands or wives start lying to each other. Oh, it starts so small, but before you can say "Uh-oh," they find themselves in an affair or a scheme due to the love of money (you know, the root of all evil).

Then one or both of them finds themselves, well, dead. And who wants that?

And you know, don't you, that there is more than one way to die?








*****

"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."   ... Romans 6:23

"The getting of treasures by a lying tongue is a fleeting vapor and a snare of death."   ... Proverbs 21:6


Dorothy Allison
“Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies.” 


“Over time, any deception destroys intimacy, and without intimacy couples cannot have true and lasting love.”
― Bonnie Eaker Weil



*****




Here's something fun, at least for me... A local Christian woman recently had a Kindle book published and I bought it ($3.49) the other day. Though we've not yet met her, Tom and I used to attend church with her husband before they met online. They've been married several years now and have cute twins, one of whom is named Naomi, in part, because Mike often used to say he liked the name, Naomi, whenever he was around our little family. We are so happy that he now has an awesome family of his own.

Anyway, I'm enjoying his wife's new book, especially since it's a story which takes place here in good ol' Buffalo (yay!). It's Called All In and you can find it here.

Just thought I'd mention it in case you'd like to check it out.  :)



*****

Free Kindle books:





Chasing God

Fatal Judgment

Welcome to Last Chance


****

Perfect advice... nip thoughts of straying while they're small thoughts!











3 comments:

Bonnie said...

So many things are a slippery slope. Including lying. When our kids were little I can remember telling them they HAD to tell me the truth....even if something bad happened in school. I would be behind them all the way, but if they lied to me...well...I couldn't help them out of that. I was raised not to lie but I guess some people weren't. Oh, what a tangled web we weave....

Judy said...

Bought the book and am enjoying it! Thanks for posting about it!

Debra said...

Bonnie--what a great way to raise your children...!

Judy--so glad you let me know! I'll have to get back to that book so to keep up with you. :)

Thanks, Ladies! ... Blessings, Debra