Tuesday, December 30, 2014

So You Don't Believe in New Year's Resolutions?


"Watch! I'm about to carry out something new! And now it's springing up— don't you recognize it? I'm making a way in the wilderness and paths in the desert."   ...Isaiah 43:19


*****


My, my ... the way many people turn all sarcastic and defeatist about new year's resolutions! 

But as for me, I adore new-born dreams and young, energetic goals. Those nudges to challenge myself and make my days better swoosh fresh inspiration, ideas into my head and hope for days spent more wisely. Why hate those things?

I mean, really. 

Already this week I switched two bookcases around upstairs (no small feat when you own tons of books), placing one with a solid back beside my upstairs pantry shelves so to make a more solid 'wall' separating the guest part from my part. Today I'm hoping to paint the back and hang a picture upon it. A good change for an upcoming new year around here.

Then this morning I (finally) printed a Word document listing Tom's and my favorite tv shows with their days and networks so that we'll no longer need to rely upon our memory when locating them on our cable's handy dandy primetime watch-when-you-want feature. (Long story how that works.)

Tom and I agree that anytime we make life easier on our heads, it's a relief. 

Probably most of  my goals, so far anyway, for 2015 are to make Hobbit Cottage more conveniently livable for us. To repair what is broken, to tweak what annoys me. To buy new carpet, hutches and to declutter our biggest, dirtiest secret otherwise known as the basement. 

I also plan to read more books on writing (and more books, period), meet some new neighbors and exercise nearly everyday.

The resolutions of a big-time world-changing, Type A personality go-getter? Nah. Just the simple goals of a woman who knows what she is and what she is not. And what she is, is mostly, a woman who loves God and finds that He makes all days remarkable.

The end of December is such a hopeful time of year! What adventures await us in the months ahead? What changes will our attention to new goals bring? In which ways will God renew us and make us more like Him?

I hope you're anticipating 2015, as well.




                                "Where there is no vision, the people perish..: "   ... Proverbs 29:18




*****

"We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life."   ... Romans 6:4


"The Old Year has gone. Let the dead past bury its own dead. The New Year has taken possession of the clock of time. All hail the duties and possibilities of the coming twelve months!" ~Edward Payson Powell


"Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right." ~Oprah Winfrey




*****



Lots of Negative Nellies out there say, "By golly, there's not been anything good on tv since 1986!" 

Well, I can't agree. At all. These are the programs I listed today on that aforementioned, give-our-heads-a-rest list:


Alaska: The Last Frontier (one of our favorite shows ever)
Resurrection
Scorpion (Tom loves this. I'm more like, eh.)
Castle (did you see the recent '1970's episode'? They nailed the 'look' perfectly. One of the very best.)
NCIS LA
Major Crimes
NCIS New Orleans
Chicago Fire (love, love this, but not how they've left us hanging re: those poor ambulance kids for 3 weeks!)
Person of Interest
Chicago PD
The Middle
The Mentalist (yeah, it's time to end this)  :)
Stalker (I was determined not to like this one, but got sucked in)
Bones (did you watch the 200th episode? The look, especially at the beginning, was cinematographic-ly awesome)
Rehab Addict
Blue Bloods (Tom's watched for years, I started in Sept. Oh wow!)
Hawaii 5-0
Gold Rush (the human nature on this fascinates and frustrates me, both.)
Cold Justice (I have tons of respect for those two women)


I also am addicted to like Criminal Minds, but hey! Before your eyes bug out, let me add that I discovered the perfect way to watch it. By way of Netflix, I simply fast-forward each violent scene till I reach the parts with the BAU team.

I love that BAU team.  

Some things just cannot be explained.  :)



*****


Free Kindle books:









4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I am also looking forward to what the new year brings !

Pam said...

Funny that you should mention your basement...a few days ago, I finally finished organizing and cleaning ours. It feels great to have that job behind me! Blessings to you and Tom in the new year.

mabeane said...

I started the "getting ready for the new year" ahead of time. We removed an extra table from the great room. I tweaked everything to my liking and was delighted to find that husband loved it. Less clutter keeps us happy.
I loved your list. Three or four are on our list as well. We just finished Blue Bloods and loved it. Broadchurch was our three day watch this week, Incredible storythat kept us wondering all the way through.
You and Tom have a Happy New Year!

Debra said...

Elizabeth--it's so refreshing to hear someone else say that! Thank-you.

Pam--what a wonderful way to begin a new year--with a clean basement! (Be still my heart...smile...) I'll let you know if I ever get there! :)

MaBeane--I know just what you mean about making things the way you like them in your home. It does make such a difference in the way we feel!

Oh! And I looked up Broadchurch after you mentioned it and saw that it must be the English version of Gracepoint which Tom and I really, really enjoyed and were sorry to see end. Sounds like we enjoy the same types of programs!

Happy New Year, Everyone! Blessings, Debra