Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Life After A Microwave Oven


“All things are lawful for me,” but not all things are helpful.."  ... 1 Corinthians 6:12


*****


Disclaimer: I'm not saying anyone shouldn't use a microwave oven. I realize it would do no good. So there.  :)


*****

Eons ago, I sat around our table with Tom and my parents and let them talk me into buying a microwave oven. Rarely has anyone talked me into doing anything I didn't want to (probably a personality trait thing), but I even remember telling them, "Ok. We'll get a microwave. But if it turns out to be dangerous, I'll say, "I told you so.'"

Well, 25 years, 4 microwaves and much uneasiness later, I carried our rather-new, latest microwave to the curb, feeling guilty that, most likely, someone else would pick it up and take the treacherous thing home. This was in 2006 and I'd discovered articles online which voiced all the haunting, niggling concerns I'd crushed inside me a hundred times.

I only wish I'd followed my heart a couple decades sooner.

Oh well.

The purpose of this post? 1.) To say, if at all possible, never disobey your conscience because it's not worth the discomfort and 2.) There is life after a microwave. Tom and I can prove that because, eight years later, we've survived. Easily. We've learned to view pans as tiny ovens, plus, we keep a small George Foreman oven beside our stove top. And I hardly spend any extra time in the kitchen, it not being my favorite place. At all.

No, really! Sheesh, to read some (other) articles you'd think folks would rather give up their first-born child rather than their microwave oven. "Take any other appliance from me," they write, "just leave me my microwave. I couldn't live/cook without it and my family would either starve or eat out until all our money was gone."

If you feel that way--ok. I get it. Sort-of.

And hey! Maybe when I reach Heaven, God will roll His eyes at me, chuckle and say, "For goodness sake, Debra! Microwaves were perfectly safe all along."

But as for me and my house (Tom agrees now, mostly), we will choose other means to heat our food. And we'll continue to let The Microwave Choice remind us to follow our many and varied convictions, whether they be laughed at or misunderstood by folks who pity us and attempt to make us feel naive and small and like (foolish) conspiracy theorists.

But what I know for certain? Some far-off day, God will explain everything to everybody and won't that be wonderful since He's the only one who's ever gotten it all right?!




*******



"What convinces is conviction. Believe in the argument you're advancing. If you don't you're as good as dead. The other person will sense that something isn't there, and no chain of reasoning, no matter how logical or elegant or brilliant, will win your case for you."



*****


Free Kindle books:




No comments: