Friday, December 19, 2014

And Then There Are Christmas Cards ...



...I still send those. Though not as many as in previous years, but still, Christmas cards are a delight, especially when you find beautiful ones like these at Dollar Tree:





Lots of people no longer send paper cards, (the way I've ceased decorating for Christmas) which is fine, of course! But I hope their only reason is not because card-sending is expensive. It isn't. My pretty cards cost a scant .07 cents each, plus the affixed .49 cent stamp and since when will .56 cents shove you into the streets and homelessness? Since when is .56 cents too costly a way to remind someone they're remembered, appreciated and loved?

Even when Tom was out of work, I mailed out Christmas cards and enjoyed imagining the smiles they'd create at mailboxes. In our 36 years of marriage God has consistently provided money so we can share good things with others. Always He makes certain funds are available to bless folks with and always He restores back to us '30, 60 or 100 fold' just as the Bible says.

Even in 2014 it is still in giving that we receive.

And yes, of course we now have e-cards. I've sent scads and it's easy to include encouraging words with those as well. But maybe it's that word 'easy' which troubles me sometimes. Is easy giving the best kind, I wonder?

All I'm really blogging today? If the old-fashioned mailing of paper cards still delights you, but you're concerned about the cost--don't be. If Grace is nudging you to go ahead! well, go ahead. Obeying Grace is wisdom. 

Cards mailed today or tomorrow have a good chance of arriving 'on time', but really, even if they're a few days late, which of us hates receiving kind, loving wishes after Christmas?

Always is a perfect time to show people they are loved. Any day of the year is the right time for that.






"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma."   ... Ephesians 5:2


"Spend and God will send."                                          ...... Author: Unknown Authors


"I do not believe one can settle how much we ought to give. I am afraid the only safe rule is to give more than we can spare."
    Author: C.S. Lewis




*****


Awww... if this story doesn't warm your heart, well, you uh-oh! Just might be dead. heh.  :)


*****


Free Kindle books:

Butter in the Well

A Christmas Peril




4 comments:

Robin in New Jersey said...

I love sending Christmas cards. We send them to our relatives that we haven't seen in years as a way of keeping in touch. I try to write a personal note on each one. I don't think I will ever stop sending them out.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Debra. I love both sending and receiving paper Christmas cards! It's such a fun tradition.... I can still remember sitting with my mom and asking if I could address the cards :) Happy Christmas memories!

mabeane said...

I haven't sent out many cards over the last few years but this year I purchased a few and did mail them. Thank you for the nudge.
I am trying to write a short note but today the fingers don't care to do the cursive!

Debra said...

Thanks, Everyone! I'm glad to hear that others enjoy sending Christmas cards and that it's not the lost art that some news stories say it is! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Blessings, Debra