Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Christmas Tree Hesitation and Other Tales

The weird thing? I don't want to put away our new little Christmas tree.





I leave it plugged in all day and night (yeah, yeah, safety issues) and it's like the colorful dining area adopted that tiny tree as one of its own. He just fits like he's always been there and shines out into the night like a beacon in a storm.

I like that.

I'm surprised at myself, really. I (now, don't faint-- I'll explain this better as I go on) tried to avoid Christmas carols this December(!) No really. When our tv's Easy Listening station kept slipping them in, I switched permanently to Soundscapes which perhaps is run by atheists or Jehovah Witnesses because never did they they play a single carol. Not that I could tell, anyway. Fortunately I love Soundscapes, well, except for the songs that sound like a serious-minded 12-year-old making music with a hand saw, a bottle jug and a metal trash can. Those, not so much.

I also muted (or switched) any Christmas-type tv commercial, especially that dreadful, representing-all-that's-wrong-with-Christmas-gone-worldly Target one where rabid children and animals nag each other, "What did you get? What did you get?". Yet I did watch that Glade one which I shared with you because it was sane and lovely. And I did tolerate Christmas episodes of current favorite tv series, but while channel surfing, instantly zipped past anything else with a Santa, Christmas tree or present-hugging, candy-cane-sucking child.

So honestly, the fact that I'm hesitating to remove the new little tree is downright Twilight Zone-ish.

But here's what I think explains much of my odd behavior: during 2014 I have craved new things. Oh, not always brand new stuff, but new-to-me things like:

New books I've never read before.
New tv shows/episodes/movies I've never before watched.
New foods I've never tried.
New night clothes, socks and dishtowels.


... which doesn't sound too surprising unless you recall that, generally, I'm Mrs. Same Ol' Same Ol' who prefers old items for comfort, nostalgia and sentiment's sake.

What could have initiated this change? I'm thinking God's reminding me to avoid ruts, things which take you only where you've been before. He knows that we homebodies (especially) can so easily slide into a ravine and get sucked under boredom, staleness and stagnation.

And He did not create us for that. 

Uh, no. He created His kids for 'newness of life' and for keeping our eyes open to the New Thing he is always wanting to do within each of us. After all, that's a huge reason Jesus came and died for us all-- to give us a new life here and a new one yet to come. Both.

New, new, new.  A new life for a new year lived in a new way. And you've gotta love that, right? Even when you're talkin' a new tiny Christmas tree.  :)










*****

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come."   ... 2 Corinthians 5:17


" ... be renewed in the spirit of your minds,  ... put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness."   ... Ephesians 4:23,24

" ... a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh."   ... Ezekiel 11:19



*****


Resolution One: I will live for God. Resolution Two: If no one else does, I still will.



*****

Free Kindle books:


A Rose Blooms Twice

Closer: Devotions to Draw Couples Together

Welcome to Last Chance

1 comment:

Terra said...

I like how your little tree is shining like a beacon into the darkness. That Jonathan Edwards quote is super; I wrote it down.
New things, me too. I just got an email that Bible study is going to study the Minor Prophets in Jan., now that is new to me.