Monday, April 22, 2013

Martha--She's a Moanin' Big Time




"Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things,but few things are needed--or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her."   ... Luke 10:41,42


*****

My oh my. In blogs and news stories and at Facebook folks are 'worried and upset about many things' and they're complaining, supposing and accusing like wild and sharing links to stories I wonder if God even wants us to read (you know, the "It is shameful even to talk about the things that ungodly people do in secret" thing from Ephesians 5).

And then they're wondering why their head hurts and they're depressed and forgetting What Is Better.

Well. I had to get away from it all. 

So I spent the afternoon in my garden. I played the Springtime Game which is to fill empty flower pots with the wintered-over compost and any potting soil around and then dig-up whatever I can find around the yard for free and pot them. Forget-me-nots. Daylilies. Ivy. Mint. You know. And then hobble around, placing the pots here and there until I must sit in the sunshine and give my lower back a rest. (Poor Lower Back. If Debra wouldn't get sloppy while it snows, she'd not gain winter weight. Bad Debra).

Anyway, so I sat outside on my yellow chair and rode on waves of deep, deep gratitude for Hobbit Cottage and Tom's dream job (which he loves) and Naomi's happiness in TN and for Jesus and the way He minds details so we don't have to.


What is better? Oh my goodness--He is. A million times better, all the time, no matter what dreadful events swirl in the wind. And He will not be taken away from me. Ever.


****





"And the people complained in the hearing of the Lord about their misfortunes, and when the Lord heard it, his anger was kindled, and the fire of the Lord burned among them and consumed some outlying parts of the camp."   ... Numbers 11:1,2

"... speak of all His wonders." ... 1 Chronicles 16:9


"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you because he trusts in You."   ... Isaiah 26:3




**********




A passionate love for Jesus changes everything.

No comments: