Wednesday, April 10, 2013

If Jesus Is Enough


"And you are complete in him, who is the head over every ruler and authority."   ... Colossians 2:10

*********

I've been wondering lately about the miserable, unfulfilled, cranky Christians I know.

What's up with that?

If Jesus is truly enough, shouldn't there be a rhythm of peace, contentment inside even when the outside goes all wonky? If He's our most important 'possession' why do we fear losing others?

If Jesus is enough, what's there to compete over with friends, neighbors, relatives when already we have the Best Thing In Life?

If Jesus is enough, how can we be lonely? Who on this planet provides more amazing companionship than Him? (Who, indeed?)

If Jesus truly satisfies us, why buy or eat or crave a bunch of stuff? Why look to a new job or vacation or recognition/appreciation/value if only Jesus can satisfy those kinds of longings, anyway?

If Jesus isn't condemning us about the way we look, why condemn ourselves when we stare into the mirror? Why not, instead, ask for help to change what we can and accept what we can't?

There's more, but you get the point.

What I've found? Only friendship with Jesus is enough to pry these things out of my hands:

Speaking negatively about people.
Not showing mercy to those who are blowing-it.
Not forgiving others who hurt me.
Gripping sadness or worry instead of joy.

And ok, Jesus doesn't stop loving me when I do those things (no way!) Yet those choices (and they are choices)
make things uncomfortable. Not as good as. Darker.

And I hate it--hate it--when that happens.

So because only Jesus is enough, I will choose to cast away my so-called rights to stay upset and whine and worry. And I'll crave to stay sensitive to the times I mess up so that I can immediately repent--and restore the invigorating conversations.

Nothing is worth ruining this minute-by-minute companionship with the Friend who sticks closer than a brother and who gives me light to see a brand new way. Nothing.


********
Taste and see that the Lord is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in Him!"   ... Psalm 34:8

"And the word of the Lord came again to Zechariah: "This is what the Lord Almighty says: 'Administer true justice; show mercy and compassion to one another. Do not oppress the widow or the fatherless, the alien or the poor. In your hearts do not think evil of each other.'"   ... Zechariah 7:8-10


"Today we are as close to God as we truly want to be."  ... copied

***************

The new Roman Meal bread coupon is here. Use your back button to get two.

***************

A passionate love for Jesus changes everything.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sarah