Friday, April 12, 2013

Insane, But Happy

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who has called you out of darkness into his marvelous light..."   ... 1 Peter 2:9
****

Clearly, I'm insane.

For 14 years I didn't use our (brand new) dishwasher. Over the next 5 years I ran (other dishwashers in other homes) just once a month. Then last August I used our dishwasher almost solely, running it pretty much every other day until three weeks ago.

Well. 

That's when our dishwasher began dribbling water at its front left corner and--when I tired of stuffing paper towels there--I just gave up and began washing dishes again by hand...

... and found that I preferred it. I remembered that hey! I actually enjoy washing dishes the old-fashioned way, especially on days when sunshine pours through the window above the sink and sparkles upon the soap suds. For 21 years I had no kitchen sink window and now I count myself one blessed woman, indeed.

Oh well. At least I'm happy in my insanity.

****

Need more proof that I 'don't have all four chairs under the table'? Look at this photo:





Those are my library shelves upstairs here in Debra's World. Yesterday I squirreled away my books, here, there, everywhere and replaced them with part of my basement stockpile. 

This had to happen sometime. Debra's Mini-Mart.  😃



******



"And Samuel said, “Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to listen than the fat of rams."   ... 1 Samuel 15:22

"But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy."   ... Isaiah 65:18


*****

The top photo? The reflection of sunset outside my window two weeks ago.

*****

A passionate love for Jesus changes everything.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have made a lot of trips up there to get them all put away! :) Cans can be heavy! I keep finding bargains here and there. Last night it was at Big Lots. I found too we have one grocery store that offers some great deals on stuff. Major store too. Yet if you look at the dates they are all close..very close to the use by dates. The manufacturers must give them a deal on them or something! No good for stocking using these things! Oh I saw a warning about stocking the easy open pull tab cans. With only a slight hit or anything they can leak. Just a speck of the seam can open and you don't know it. The area where the can opens has thin metal so easier to not keep sealed. They said if you buy this type to use them first and use the regular cans for prepping. Too bad as they sounded so nice as so easy to open without a can opener! :( Also saw mentioned to get butane lighters..the cigarette uses type and the long nose ones to store instead of matches. You get lots of uses and no worry or getting them damp. some butane lighters hold more butane than other types. Do butane lighters dry up if not opened? I have the under bed plastic boxes and a few sturdy half boxes from Costco under our bed with cans in them. They slide out easily. The covers keep them dust free. Sarah

Anonymous said...

Well, I remember my mother-in-law telling me how much she enjoyed WASHING dishes...It seemed odd to me then...but not now...some days when my old arthritic hands are complaining...tis nothing nicer than warm to hot sudsy water!! Perspective, eh?
Elizabeth in VA

Terra said...

I prefer the dishwasher, but hey, to each our own preferences. We have extra food and water; water is so important. Do you have a water purifier that doesn't need electricity?

Bonnie said...

Oh, Debra, we know you have "all four chairs under the table." Haha... You're more sane than most of the population! God bless you for moving all that stock! I'm not a "prepper" myself (we just have our earthquake emergency kit plus the pantry) but I'm going to take a look at the Pinterest link. Always like your links. My parents haven't used a dishwasher in the last 30 some years. Doing dishes was always a "thinking time" for my mom, as she explained it. Have a good weekend!