Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Why I Don't Figure Things Out

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; He will speak only what He hears, and He will tell you what is yet to come." (John 16:13)

*********

So while Tom was laid-off for 20 months, he and I had a cool, relaxing time. Well, after I finally stopped complaining about him hanging around the house 24/7. After that, our cool time became more awesome.

Shouldn't we have been, well, frantic? I mean, no job for Tom at 54! Well, God is the God of the opposite world, you know: The first shall be last. Give things away and then after you give, you will receive more. Spend time with God and somehow you end up with more time. If you want to be great, be a servant. Etc. 

So I realized early that He expected me to not act like every unsaved Tam-Vick-and-Carrie does when their husbands get laid-off from a 30-year career. Which meant no new worry lines in my face allowed. No sleepless nights or resenting the bosses who released Tom from his job. No doubting that God was big enough to take care of us. No spoken words of unbelief--and quick repentance if I did speak them. 

No secret, sorry expectations of my Life going from bad to worse.

And one more thing? No figuring-out inside my head every move we were supposed to make or what our near future would entail. But rather? Listening. Lots and lots of listening to that still, small voice of wisdom, comfort, knowledge and peace. Listening to the real Father who knows best.

"In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths..."  ... Proverbs 3:5

I hate figuring things out. Heck, I certainly don't know The Unknown. I can't understand complicated technicalities nor see into the future and I certainly don't trust myself to know what's best.

But I do know God and He knows all that. 

Hence, that's why I listen to Him. "My sheep hear My voice," Jesus said and His voice calms me. My heart and my head, especially when I am still--that's when I know Him best. 

So rather than reasoning, I'll just continue listening. It's working well so far.


**********

"Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed upon Thee because he trusts in Thee."  Isaiah 26:3

*********

Sarah asked if I found any books yesterday at Salvation Army and yes! This one for .99 cents:


**********

"But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you." (John 14:26)

**********

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Great post Debra!

Pat said...

As usual, always a good encouraging word in your post today. My husband retired at 55 and the hardest part for me was HIS discontent and unsettled spirit. I wanted to whack him sever times, LOL!
I see your book by Lynette Jennings...I used to watch her faithfully, she was very good.

Mary said...

Great post Debra! I too have had to "Let go and let God" this past year and it has been so difficult giving up the idea that I have complete control over my future. A very hard lesson that has come with loads of blessings. On an up note, we just read in the paper this morning that a new three story public library and a man made lake are being built within walking distance!! I am so excited!