Tuesday, October 18, 2011

You Might Not Believe This (But It's True)


I forgot to tell you something pretty incredible about this new life of mine.


While I shop at my local supermarket, they play Big Band era music. And stuff from the 1950's, like Doris Day and Nat King Cole and Rosemary Clooney. Weekends and weekdays.


Oh. My. Goodness.


And it's not like this supermarket is some local Mom and Pop set-up, either. No, they're a major chain in New York and Pennsylvania and this is one of the large ones, an International.


I drive to the market early mornings, anywhere from 7:30 to 9:30 and there's Benny or Glenn or Doris or Rosemary playing or singing me down the aisles. Sometimes I even have to keep my feet from dancing. Sometimes people push their carts past me singing along with Bing or Patsy . Other times they whistle along. Or hum.


Sometimes couples, old or young, get a little playful in the aisles. One husband even embraced his wife, they slow danced a couple steps, then he twirled her by the hand.


Does it get any better than this?


I'm thinking probably not.  :)








Hmm.... In case you're wondering if this post is for real--yes, it is. Come visit me some early morning and I'll take you the six blocks to my supermarket and you can watch the magic for yourself.  It'll be fun.




*******




And once again, here's the amazing website Dolores shared with me filled with stations which play 1940's and 50's music.




********


And speaking of  'once again' I must repeat that I'm absolutely loving my Dollar Tree book, A Matter of Choice, edited by Joan Chatfield-Taylor. Could hardly be more perfect and really, I need to get back down there to search for more treasures! (If you enjoyed Thoughts of Home and If These Walls Could Talk, guaranteed, you'll love this book, also.)




*********


Oh, you must do this. (Pretty please?) Go here and listen to this youtube song while picturing yourself grocery shopping. 

If you're a woman I'll bet you can't help but see yourself in a full-skirted dress and clip-on pearl earrings while pushing a cart around. This is one of the types of music my market plays and--when they do-- suddenly I'm transformed into June Cleaver.  





*****


Deuteronomy 8:10




"When you have eaten and are full, then you shall bless the Lord your God for the good land which He has given you."




Trust me, I have and I am!  ツ




*****

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...what a delight to shop in such a place. We have a smaller market here that plays classical softly in the background and you simply are not anxious to leave!! Your big market is very smart...happy, calm people stay longer and probably spend more!!
Elizabeth in NC

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Wow, this is amazing! It's not a Wegmans, is it? I would be almost jealous....They have one in Bellefonte, PA where Em lives and also near the cottage in Jamestown, NY. But they are not planning to move to Ohio.........

I'll picture you bouncing around as a 50s woman, though what you are describing sounds more like a 40s woman to me....My mother used to complain about the young mothers in the 50s who came to the grocery store with their hair in curlers and a bandana over the heads....

Elizabeth said...

Sounds wonderful Debra!

Donetta said...

Oh it is so wonderful to be loved through the details of life.

Echoes From the Hill said...

Those old songs remind me of how happy my mother was, when my brother and I bought her a reproduction record player/CD player, that looked like an old Victrola, complete with big brass "horn". I went on line and found four CD that were songs of the 40's and she spent hours and hours listening to them. She had Alzheimer's, but she could remember the lyrics to those songs and sing along with them.
Now, I have them and listen to those songs, sometimes, and remember how happy they made her.
nancyr

Anonymous said...

Wow! Is there a house for sale near you? !! I am so happy to hear this music being played somewhere!!! In a grocery store no less!!! Thanks for the links...been playing them ever since...Thank you again..and again... Sarah