Wednesday, August 13, 2008



We have our very own meadow. I still can't believe it. (I still can't believe this whole farm thing... I'm thinking I'll wake-up inside that tiny apartment some morning where we lived only 6 months.)

When we dwelled in our 'sardine can' neighborhood for nearly 15 years, I longed for a place I could step out the door and walk to which belonged to no one. A wild sort of place where I could wander off the straight sidewalk and explore, even for ten minutes.

I never found it. Not there in the suburbs, anyway.

But here it is, finally, in my own backyard, literally. A meadow still wild, untamed, especially around the edges and I stroll out there any time I need to, well, breathe. Any time I need that 'hiking in a meadow feeling' I never did satisfy in the suburbs.

Yet here's the thing. I watched that PBS show about Anne Spencer's garden and got all excited. "I could do that," I mused. "I could spend years creating an orderly, lovely garden back in the meadow and people would exclaim and wonder how I did all that alone."

But you know? After that program I walked out to the meadow and it struck me--I don't want an orderly garden back here with it's brick sidewalks and bordered flower beds. I want it to remain like this--




And I want the color to come from wildflowers, ones which magically pop up in odd places. If I have Black Eyed Susans, well, I want them to come up on their own, free, as they do now.

Maybe it's because I'm lazy. I don't know. An orderly, planned garden would take a heck of a lot of work, indeed. But mostly I want a wild meadow, I believe, because of those 15 years of too much order outdoors. Of too many pristine yards plotted and manicured to the square inch... and never being allowed to wander off the sidewalk to a forgotten or unexplored land.

Oh, someday I want to put a screened gazebo out there in the meadow and surround it, closely, with flowers. But from inside that gazebo I want the view to remain wild. Untamed. Silent. Even if no one understands. Even if no one 'gets' what I'm attempting to do. Or not do. (God often asks me to do things others won't understand. He calls it Good Discipline.)

But perhaps other people long for a piece of nature on the wild side. Maybe others are searching for such a spot in which to stroll and quiet their busy minds.

I've discovered such a place ...

...and how amazing to be able to share that gift.


7 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

So beautiful, Debra. And so much healthier for the earth and you than the orderly bordered garden. Not that there is not a place for such gardens, but for ecology, it is worth having these wildish places which are home to all manner of insect and animal life as well as plants........?You may want to mow once a year any place that you don't want trees to grow up, but once a year is probably enough. And you will have wonderful flowers and butterflies.......If you like you can plant (maybe you can find "volunteers" on your property) bushes and small trees with fruits for the birds around the edges of the meadow......BTW, the weed seeds should be "killed" by the heat generated in the compost process..............

If you can find the book "Hedgerow" you will enjoy reading it, even though it is about the English countryside rather than American. The concepts apply....

Patty H. said...

What a beautiful, peaceful spot. I would keep it like that also.

smilnsigh said...

I'm with you. Leave most wild.

'Miss' Mari-Nanci
'Smilnsigh' blog

Barb Davis said...

Beautiful place! Love the photos.
Barbara

Nan said...

I love your meadow, and I like the way it looks. My black eyed susans come up some places some years, and other places other years. I once tried to put them in the flower garden and they didn't come back.:<) Trying to tell me something, I'd say!

Judy said...

Oh. A meadow.

I love it.

How wonderful line-dried clothes would smell!

Anonymous said...

I love your meadow, Debra! And I get it. Leave it free and wild :)
It's gorgeous.

Susan