Thursday, August 14, 2008



Remember my binders of pages from various decorating magazines gathered over the last 20 years?

They're still lost.

&*^%$#.

But alas. This morning I drove early into the not-so-big-city to Walmart and bought a cheap binder (hurriedly. Droves of screaming children and nerve-frayed moms were rushing toward me). Thank-goodness I did not lose my homemade cookbook binder or my housekeeping one, for both contain, not only vital stuff, but my extra plastic sleeves for new decorating magazine pages I'll now collect.

Sometimes you must just move on. Start all over. Create something new.

I've known a variety of people in my nearly half-century of life.

Great, noble people.
Average people.
Moaners.

And well, moaners make me nuts.

They're the ones who say, "I can't paint my (grease-splattered) kitchen or clear all the clutter until we do the remodeling. And we can't remodel until we get new appliances. And we can't buy new appliances until our ship comes in/or I get my inheritance/or I get a new job/or the kids move out..." (Choose one. Or two.)

So they live with those grease-splattered walls and counter clutter for 5 or 10 years, each year adding to the splatters/clutter/general depression.

Moaners whine (often) that they couldn't go to college when they were teens, but they never take a class now that they are adults. Moaners cry over a friend they lost, yet they don't venture out and find another one. And moaners complain about their spouse so much that they become blind to his/her best qualities.

Sometimes I have been a moaner. Sometimes I have made myself nuts. God, too.

But here's what I love. I love it when God says, "Debra! You quit that moaning right this minute, young lady. I want you to get up. Get up and help those who have a harder life than yours. Get up and find what you have lost. Get up and create what you cannot afford ready-made. Get up and find a new friend. Get up and find some inspiration. Get up and count your blessings." (Choose one. Or two.)

Maybe God doesn't speak that firmly to you, but He sure gets like that with me. And I wouldn't change that for anything.

For like I said, moaners make me nuts. Especially when they are me.


***

"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." ...Proverbs 18:21

"You can be pitiful or you can be powerful--you can't be both." ... Joyce Meyer


***

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice post Debra, kinda what I needed at this time. Brian

nancyr said...

Oh, a little of that hit home! Thanks, I needed that!
Love to keep up on what you are doing.
Do you still have time to watch an occasional old movie, or did they go by the wayside in your move?

Brenda@CoffeeTeaBooks said...

Wow, we have the same God. He speaks to me like that, too. :)

Just Me said...

"Sometimes you must just move on. Start all over. Create something new."
AMEN and AMEN!!!!

Pat said...

"...moaners make me nuts. Especially when they are me." Now that's a quote to put on the fridge! Some people are fortunate to realize this early on, they are very blessed!!

... Paige said...

I agree with Pat, great quote.

Patty H. said...

Yes, that quote could go on my 'frigerator also.

Anonymous said...

You are fortunate to still have the energy and apparently good enough health to make some of those things happen!! And for some of us, the internet has been a boone that way too.