Tuesday, May 29, 2007




All I ask is that you not freak-out about this post in my comment box. If you don't agree, please just ponder it awhile, ok?

***

"And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."... Romans 8:28

Since I was 13 (or so), I've heard this verse used like a blanket verse by people. Sometimes what I'm hearing is, "Just remain clueless and keep doing whatever you want--everything will work together for good if you're a Christian."

I've known Christians who've smoked cigarettes for more than 50 years and when they came down with cancer or emphysema, other church people told them, "All things work together for good..."

And other Christians have chosen to live on fast-food or they just over-eat or eat the wrong foods and when they become obese or sick, they're comforted by well-meaning friends, "...all things work together for good. You're a Christian--everything will be all right."

Or I've watched other Christians set aside self-control and make wrong choices in purchases beyond what they can afford or choose a spouse God warned them was wrong. Or they gave their hearts to someone outside of marriage and got divorced and/or pregnant and in their misery they're patted on the hand and told, "...don't worry, don't be afraid--all things work together for good to those who love God."

I wonder.

I mean, what about the "called according to His purpose" part? Where does 'His purpose' come in all of this?

Sowing seeds. Choices. Oh those choices we make! And the free will thing. And all the trouble we call down upon ourselves because we chose our own purpose, not His.

Sometimes everything does not work out hunky dory, especially when God was right there crying, "Noooo! That path will only lead to heartache and trouble and tears."

But then--still--we chose to go our own way.

God cannot bless disobedience. The older I get, the more aware I become of even my slightest disobediences and I've stopped making excuses for them. I say to God, "I'm sorry. You were right. You are always right." And hey, I'd be disappointed in God if He did wink at them when I knew better all along, but pretended I didn't.

I'm glad He nags me to do better, to be better. I'm glad that He's shown me there are consequences when I go my own way. 

No longer do I expect Him to radically bless me while I give Him just a sloppy kind of obedience, sighing, "Oh well, it'll all work out for good."  I'd rather go through my life with my eyes open and with God expecting me to live what He's spent years trying to teach me.

And experiencing the consequences of that, instead.


******


"For unto whom much is given, of him shall be much required...." ...Luke 12:48

"Do not be deceived and deluded and misled; God will not allow Himself to be sneered at (scorned, disdained, or mocked [a]by mere pretensions or professions, or by His precepts being set aside.) [He inevitably deludes himself who attempts to delude God.] For whatever a man sows, that and [b]that only is what he will reap." ... Galations 6:7 (Amplified)

"What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace?" Romans 6:15


******

No comments: