Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Popping In From My Staycation


"For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery."   ... Galations 5:1

*****

When Tom and his partner rode away in the taxi on Monday, I cried a bit, feeling the brunt of it all, this being alone for another 6 (or more) weeks. So I let myself grieve a few minutes more, but then I said, "Debra! Pull yourself together. You know this is what Tom's meant to do right now."

And yes, I do know that. 

A tiny part of me wishes his job involved only quickie trips and ones just within the U.S. but really, why make myself unhappy by wishing for what is not meant to be?

Now there's a good question. I watch others do that often, but the silly futility of it all made me smile and dry my tears, then switch my brain over to staycation mode. And I immediately felt better.

And oh! I forgot to tell you a couple weeks ago that Buffalo topped the list as the number one best city for staycationsIs that cool, or what? 

(Yet uh-oh! That same week, Buffalo also appeared on another list as the 4th poorest city in the U.S. Oh dear.)

Anyway. Yesterday I ordered-out for my favorite meal--chicken fingers, enough for breakfast and lunch today as well. (Hey. I'm on vacation, remember?) And tomorrow I will walk to 7-11 for a pint of ice cream (chocolate, but of course!), the only time I'll do that these 7 weeks.

I hung a couple paintings, puttered in the yard (only moments, for it was ghastly humid), played with the cats and began watching X-Files again. One lovely thing about growing older is that, give me a couple years, and all tv series revert to feeling new to me. :)

Oh, and I also discovered this documentary on Netflix which some of you will love:

 Forgotten Planet: Abandoned America. 

It covers four cities which are now ghost towns, one of which was Bodie, CA, my favorite since we'd visited there probably 22 years ago, but seems like just last week, due to my vivid fascination with it all. Awesome tv show--I'm hoping I can find more episodes there.

So Life goes on and what matters is that I move along with it, not allowing my head to get stuck in some dark, wishful corner when I could have had fun, instead. Heaven forbid. 





*****

"Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."   ... Matthew 11:29



Alan Watts

*****



I Skyped with Tom moments ago and, besides the jet lag, he's doing well.


Naomi and her band are at this moment flying to Germany and if you could remember them in your prayers, I'd be grateful. Thank-you much!

4 comments:

terricheney said...

You are the base station, the place that Tom and Naomi land and fly off again from...I like that you will treat yourself to special things only occasionally. I do that, too. It makes them special treats indeed.

Pam said...

Great outlook, Debra. Our lives are always changing and the world keeps turning around. As long as we set our anchors firmly in our faith, it seems all is well (eventually). Praying for you and your family. If I were there, I'd buy us a gallon of chocolate ice cream! Yum!!

Anonymous said...

Glad Tom arrived safely and will remember Naomi during this time too. Sounds like you are managing ok!
Elizabeth in WA

Bonnie said...

Thank you for sharing that you "cried a bit". It's good for others to know that it's okay to not put on a brave face all the time. We're told to share each others burdens. I've been praying for you since you told us that Tom was going to travel again. I'll keep it up. : )