Sunday, March 17, 2013

Still Dancing In The Streets (To Me, Anyway)


"You have multiplied the nation; you have increased its joy; they rejoice before you as with joy at the harvest, as they are glad when they divide the spoil." ... Isaiah 9:3

***

 Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Nearly 20 years ago when Naomi and I arrived at the Buffalo Airport to meet Tom (who'd lived here 10 weeks preparing things for us), I remember immediately feeling  joy in the air. We'd flown from Nevada where, well, uhm... I never quite got that joy-in-the-air feeling, but at the Buffalo Airport! Oh, as I watched the happy people hugging and laughing around me, I felt as though Buffalo was a city of people dancing in the streets.

In fact, when we eventually stepped outside of the airport doors, I remember feeling surprised that people weren't actually dancing out there. That's how real the happiness felt within me, like the sweet relief of finally coming home to where I belonged, to where I'd wanted to live since age 16.

And now, 2 long decades later? I've never lost that feeling ... and that is why I loved, loved, loved this photo, above, which was taken yesterday by a local news station at a St. Patrick's Day parade. For me, that picture is so close to what I glimpsed within my head and heart when God planted me here 20 years ago. And that's still how I see Buffalo, even today--a city full of happy people.

And I am grateful.


*******

The above photo came to me through my local news' Facebook page--I would have missed-out, otherwise--yikes!

*******

Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me;  
Thou hast put off my sackcloth;
Thou hast turned my mourning into dancing for me,  
And girded me with gladness;
To the end my glory may sing praise unto Thee,  
And not be silent.
O Lord my God, 
I will give thanks unto Thee forever.

(Click any line of that song and you'll be able to hear the tune of it. An old time favorite of mine--does anyone else remember and love this one as I do?)

*********


A special thanks to you who wished me a happy birthday here at Blogger and over at Facebook, also! Your good wishes kept coming all day long, warming my heart and making me smile. Thanks so much! I had a lovely day, especially when the sun finally decided to come out and stay. :)

*******

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a fact, some places plain feel happy from the first moment you set foot in them. And also, some are the reverse...I surely prefer the happy places...but sometimes one has to live for a time in the other. We need those happy places to get us through the not so good ones!! Memories are wonderful and so needed sometimes.
Elizabeth in VA