Thursday, September 04, 2008



Ok... I've calmed down a bit after my last post. A bit. I'm still thinking I'll just move my garden out to the meadow next Spring. It's likely my current garden first grew in its present space more than 100 years ago. The dirt is probably tired anyway (even though my cherry tomato plants are six feet tall... and everything is growing amazingly well).

I removed the tarps from my garden early this morning and the woman from next door walked over and gave me back the vase from the hydrangeas I'd given her after her surgery. I didn't say a word about the lawn chemicals. Couldn't trust myself. Besides, the poor woman just had heart surgery last month and still looks a bit peaked. Sigh.

But Tom was right--everything will be all right. I feel it today.

Thanks so very much for your encouraging comments! Oh, and for the record--though we do have a well just outside our back door, we are on city water. Not that, now in 2008, that's saying anything positive. And we do use a filter jug for drinking water. We are currently, though, considering getting an all-house water filter system next year, or at the very least, a filter for the shower (should we choose the cheapo route, instead).

So Life goes on...

Did you see that chair at the top of this post? It's one Tom found on the curb years ago. As he loaded it into the car a woman stepped out of her house and said, "Oh, I'm glad you are taking that! My grandfather made that chair with those very short legs so that, when he'd put on his shoes, he'd be sitting closer to them." It's such a cute chair and I've painted it many times (tomorrow I will stencil white dragonflies or birds on it). To me, the front legs look a bit Dr. Seuss-ish.

Oh, and the carpet? We found it at a yard sale last month for just $3--and it's a 6'x9' rug(!) Not in pristine shape, but then, nothing around our farm quite is.

Life is often like that.

2 comments:

Pat said...

I love your chair. It reminds me of a "Slipper Chair" that people used just for the purpose you wrote of. The builder of your chair was no fool, but a visionary!

Echoes From the Hill said...

How sad that the woman who put the chair on the curb didn't cherish a family heirloom, especially something made by her own grandfather. I'm glad it found a loving home.
When I acquire an antique, or just something old, I always wonder who owned it, what that person was like, and what kind of family life he/she had.
It is nice to re-purpose, and re-love something that has been discarded.