Friday, May 10, 2013

Meanwhile, Down at The Spa....


So! What was my adventure this week?

Tom traveled to New Hampshire with a business partner on Monday morning, he's been gone all week, and well, I'll only mention his trips on the day of his return because that feels safer, wiser.

So anyway, ol' Debra's been Home Alone. 

Well, alone with Jesus, Grace and Daniel and Sammy The Cats. And oh.... have we all had fun.

I sat outside with the sun upon my face and puttered and did all the spade-digging, planting, clipping, mowing I longingly dream about during winter. 

I read on the front porch, gazed down the street to the peaceful, sparkling river with seagulls circling above and relaxed in Tom's recliner while watching a bazillion instant-Netflix episodes of Dog Whisperer (such wisdom!) and Fringe (I love sci-fi. Deal with it). :) And ate easy, little meals, heating them in our George Foreman counter top oven.



I rewarded any bits of housework with either tv or books or inhaling the warm crab apple tree blossoms and felt like I'd taken a working vacation. And truthfully? I try to live my life 'on vacation': working, yes, but while my brain, my emotions, (during these turbulent 2013 times, especially) remain calm, soothed, as though on a spa vacation, if you will. 

This week it seemed simpler to do that. 

I felt like I lived these words out loud:

"Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am gentle (meek) and humble (lowly) in heart, and you will find rest (relief and ease and refreshment and recreation and blessed quiet) for your souls."  ...  Matthew 11:29


Refreshment, blessed quiet. Yes, those words sum-up my 'spa home week'. Add healing, too, from the sadness of the news I hear, even with Grace beside me, news of horrible times I believe we weren't created to bear mentally without Jesus holding us up. These past five years, especially, I've found I must stop, take extra 'pause days' just to heal from being alive in this Millennium.

Yet then I move on, healed from the heart, quieted, and prepared to face what needs to be faced, with the joy of God, His strength and all the peace, contentment and heart-calm I can hold in order to see more good days. With Him.


See? I told you not to get excited about my upcoming adventure. :)

**********

The older I become the more I believe this: A lousy attitude leads to a lousy life and a good attitude leads to a good one. On the inside. I'm speaking of Life on the inside.

**********

"You will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You because he trusts in You."   ... Isaiah 26:3

"Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy-laden {and} overburdened, and I will cause you to rest. [I will ease and relieve and refresh your souls.]"   ... Matthew 11:28

4 comments:

Tracy said...

"I try to live my life *on vacation*"....I love this! :)

terricheney said...

Lovely post. I too have to take breaks from the world here and there, doing what must be done and moving on. My husband works nights too, so the tv is on a LOT during his time at home. I try to turn off the news (he's a political/finances junkie) and just let my mind REST. I get anxious, I worry, but Christ is always there, quieting and calming my fears and giving me strength to carry on.

Anonymous said...

Though it can be lonely when hubby is gone...there is something to be said for being on one's own time schedule for a time too...I always took advantage of those times to work on favorite projects, like sewing etc...where it can be hard to find a good stopping place!!
Elizabeth now in WA state...

Saija said...

sounds lovely ... i'm very seldom alone (since poor ole leo can't get around much like he used to) so i enjoyed reading about your alone time!!!!

just thot i'd mention that i love fringe too - and when i was in Vancouver last year, my sister pointed out some of the places where they filmed fringe episodes - sooo cool!