Thursday, May 16, 2013

My Morning


"... but trust in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy..."   1 Timothy 6:17

*****

Before I mowed the lawn this morning, I sat outside on our front porch and inhaled sweet, 65 degree springtime air while birds sang different songs in the green(!) trees. Sammy The Cat lounged in his carrier behind me while I read my books, pausing at times to peer down the street at the sleepy blue river which--always--calms me to an even deeper place.

No dogs barked, no one mowed their lawn or bounced her basketball for two hours straight (long story) or revved-up his Harley repeatedly or leaf-blowed anything or pounded the sidewalk into pieces to get at the pipes beneath (another long story) or blared their radio or --

Nope, it was all just so good out there, too good, even, at times, and I recalled how Cesar Millan always says dogs live in the moment and we should, also. Not dragging the (noisy)Past around inside our heads or worrying what might happen ahead, but just calmly, lovingly, living in the Now, lest we find ourselves unable to find the freedom only this present moment can give us. 

Cesar is so right.

So then I mowed our still-feels-awfully-large lawn and now I'll heat some hot chocolate and carry it back outside to the porch and maybe give Daniel a turn in the carrier. The air will smell even sweeter because of the clipped grass and I know already what I'll be thinking--that even when I'm alone, I'm never alone-alone. No, Life is what I make it and think of it and really, I feel so very rich on this incredibly average, but oh-so-sweet Spring day.







*****

Anyone have any advice for keeping wildly annoying suburban squirrels out of my flower beds? I've used red pepper flakes and pieces of oh-so-hot peppers and they helped just a bit. I'd rather not use chicken wire or a gun. heh. 

Someone online swears that sprinkling blood meal around the soil will help so that's what I'll try next, but if you have other suggestions, I'm open!






*******

“The truth is, unless you let go, unless you forgive yourself, unless you forgive the situation, unless you realize that the situation is over, you cannot move forward.” 
― Steve MaraboliUnapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience


“You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles.” 
― C. JoyBell C.



********


Yay! You can watch some Dog Whisperer episodes for free here.


********

No comments: