Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Real Day Off!

Finally, Tom and I had a real day-off together and we did all the things which didn't happen last Thursday. The only thing that went wrong on this day off? Our Internet was out for nearly 10 hours. 


I just barely survived that.  


Isn't it wild how dependent we become upon these things? Since we couldn't check online as to when Spider-Man would begin, we just showed-up at the theater, and wow, we were perfectly on time. Fun.


Anyway, for the first time, we watched a film in 3-D. Wow! Spoiled for life. And the movie, itself? Wonderful. Awesome. Didn't even miss Tobey Maguire like I imagined I would.


Instead? The new Spider-Boy-Man reminded Tom and me sooo much of Naomi's former boyfriend, Carl, that it practically felt like watching Carl play the role up there on the screen! :)


Think I'm exaggerating? Well, here's a photo of Carl (on the right, of course):




And here's a picture of the new Spider-Man, Andrew Garfield:




See? And put Carl in a suit like Andrew's, shave all his facial hair, and well, you've got the doppelganger thing going. heh. The other coincidence is that Carl's brother's name is Andrew and he looks like both these guys, too!


Anyway, I totally recommend seeing at least one film in your lifetime in 3-D. Truly a fun, you-are-there experience. Also felt quite vintage-retro as all seven of us in the theater (love those small crowds) sat facing the lighted screen with the reflections upon our 3-D glasses. You know, kinda like this:




So Tom gets today off, also, and I will return to the excellence thing I mentioned to you in my last post. You know, actually completing things, rather than postponing them, allowing them to weigh upon my brain:

flower beds,
trimming the hedges, 
mailing cards to friends,
wallpapering upstairs,
replacing worn-out stuff with new,
stocking-up on groceries and emergency supplies,
painting our kitchen arch and a dining room wall,
'building' a basement room,
giving our neighbor some canned cat food our cats wrinkled their noses at,
taking more walks,
buying worms for the new soil I've hauled in (our worn-out yard has no worms--scary!),
washing our winter blankets,
buying some new-to-me clothes to replace old ones...


... my, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice procrastination! And how good of God to keep nagging us into holiness which is always for our benefit--and our mental, emotional and physical health, too.


And may you live practicing excellence, too.... I would hate to be alone in all this! :)




************


"... because the Lord disciplines those he loves..."   ... Hebrews 12:6




**************************

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You certainly have a lot going on there. That's quite a list. I got a bit tired half way thru.

Have a good day with hubby and good luck with rest. Glad you had a happy day off yesterday.

Wilma

Elizabeth said...

Wow Debra, How are you going to get all that done! Why do you want worms in your soil? I am going to try and get some things done today that I have been putting off, you motivated me!

Debra said...

Wilma--you always make me smile! Thanks.

Elizabeth--you always make me smile, too! :) Oh, and worms are like priceless jewels for soil. They aerate(sp) it, keeping it from getting all hard and they eat compost and then excrete rich minerals into the soil which are so good for plants. They probably do even more, but that's all I can think of right now. :)

Thanks for your kind words, Ladies! Blessings, Debra

Debra said...

Forgot something.... Elizabeth--I'll be able to get all that done in time because when God asks us to do certain things, He provides the strength and time and energy to do them. If He didn't, He would be a mean boss. But He's not. :) Blessings, Debra

Bonnie said...

Debra, where do you go most often for your new-to-me clothes? I like all kinds of thrift stores, but Goodwill does such a nice job of organizing things and I like that they group clothing by color....it appeals to my organized side as soon as I walk through the door.

I have a punch list I'm working on, since I don't work during the summer. I'm crossing off many of them. Still chugging along. If I don't get them all done, can I still read your blog? lol! Thanks for keeping all of us motivated.

Debra said...

Hi Bonnie! I usually shop at our local Salvation Army stores--we have two great ones locally. There used to be a Goodwill store here in our current town, but it disappeared probably 6 years ago--I was so disappointed! Yes, the way they color coordinate their clothing is terrific, and too, I found lots of terrific cheap books there over the years. I still miss that place.

And yes, you may keep reading my blog! :) heh. If we all had to finish our lists before we did enjoyable things, our lives wouldn't be as much fun. Well, I think so, anyway. I'm the type who believes in rewarding myself with things I enjoy after checking things off my To Do lists. So much nicer than punishment for non-completion of things! :) Thanks for commenting... Debra

Anonymous said...

My 'hope to get done' list is two pages long so I will be taking a break off and on and reading your blog!!!!! :) Our Salvation Army and Goodwill are the most expensive of any junk sure for clothes. :( They are neat and tidy though and have the nicest staff !! :) I am glad to hear the new Spidy man is as good as the Tobey Maguire. I was wondering about how that would go. So Glad you did finally get a date day together.!! :) Sarah