Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guarding My Heart's Door



"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life." ... Proverbs 4:23


Here, there, everywhere, people tell me things. People tell you things. And often all day and evening long it's the bad stuff.

"Our politicians are destroying our Country."
"The older you get, the worse Life gets."
"Scary times are ahead and you'd better be scared enough to do something about them."
"Your adult children will make you crazy."
"Trust no one."

And the list stretches on to infinity.

Yet lately God's reminded me to guard my heart. To keep the negative, bitter, fearful stuff out. That it's my job to not allow people to contaminate the crops He's grown in my heartland with their scattered seeds of poison, otherwise I'll reap black crops of fear, not gleaming fruit of faith.

And fear brings torment, you know.

My mind will not know peace if I am afraid, bitter, unforgiving, judgemental or selfish. Biblically, it's an impossibility to know Good Days if I'm full of fear rather than filled with God.

Do I believe harder times are coming? Yes, personally I do, especially considering what the Bible says lies ahead. Yet will I spend today dreading those days? Will I allow them to rob me of the mind-quietness of godly trust?

Nope. 

Instead I'll spend my weeks preparing from a base of faith, not fear, and listening. Listening to people's tirades about our 'evil government' and shortages and overall doom? No again, for oh! How I long to listen to God, instead, for He will tell me, "Fear not."

"Fear not. Fear not. Fear not.
Neither be afraid."

"Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life."

Oh, how I get that now! In fact, I'm thinking that's my verse of 2011. And I hope to honor it, to meditate upon it and--above all else--to live it.



*****



"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." Proverbs 3:27




****

5 comments:

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

What a really good post, Debra. Of course, I know that you prefer to be positive rather than negative, bitter, and judgmental. That's why I really like your blog. I'm a glad girl too, at heart. I would rather find things to praise and be grateful for and I think we always can. But this post today somehow pulled that together very well. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Amen, Debra!

"When you come to the end of your rope, reach out and grasp the hem of HIS garment."

Blu-I'd-Blonde said...

Your words of wisdom come from the Good Book and an experienced heart. Thank you for inspiring me.

Always Learning said...

I love Joyce Meyer!!! I listen to her everyday. I too like listening to the lovely, pure, good, and holy.

Anonymous said...

There are some very encouraging verses in Scripture for having hope, great hope, even in the midst of the final of days...I love those!! Here is one of the many: Luke 21:36.

Blessings, Elizabeth in NC